Dr. Phil McGraw says the best predicter of future behavior is past behavior. Do you buy that?

Favorite Answer

And the most consistently accurate weather forecast is "Today will be much like yesterday." ;-)

I think the statement about behavior isn't far off the mark.

Aloha

• mJc

It's not like he came up with this all on his own. It's a psychological phenomenon. Past behavior IS the best predictor of future behavior. It doesn't mean someone can't change, but it still can give you a good idea of what might be.

No, I do not agree with this statement....as people age and mature, they change. So what they did in the past may not be prevalent in the future. This is why I think Dr. Phil is full of crap!

No. Let me give you an example:

If you jump off the top of a skyscraper without a parachute, it is extremly unlikely that you will ever do so again. So in that case, past behavior is the worst predictor of future behavior.

Depends it the person has changed. For example if they quit drinking years ago, or they have matured. I think it really matters what kind of behavior you are referring to.

Yes,I do believe that.We are creatures of habit.We have our own way of viewing life that is set in chilhood. Yes, with help people can change.But it takes a lot of willingness to work at it.

Yes and if a person decides to change they need Gods guidance, without it they will remain the same.

Dr. Phil knows best!!!

yes. people do what they know and will repeat that behavior in a similiar situation unless they are taught other ways to respond.

Yes, and contrary to the false hopes of some, people never change.