Dr. Phil McGraw says the best predicter of future behavior is past behavior. Do you buy that?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

And the most consistently accurate weather forecast is "Today will be much like yesterday." ;-)

I think the statement about behavior isn't far off the mark.

Aloha

• Login to reply the answers
  • mJc
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It's not like he came up with this all on his own. It's a psychological phenomenon. Past behavior IS the best predictor of future behavior. It doesn't mean someone can't change, but it still can give you a good idea of what might be.

• 1 decade ago

No, I do not agree with this statement....as people age and mature, they change. So what they did in the past may not be prevalent in the future. This is why I think Dr. Phil is full of crap!

• 1 decade ago

No. Let me give you an example:

If you jump off the top of a skyscraper without a parachute, it is extremly unlikely that you will ever do so again. So in that case, past behavior is the worst predictor of future behavior.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Depends it the person has changed. For example if they quit drinking years ago, or they have matured. I think it really matters what kind of behavior you are referring to.

• 1 decade ago

Yes,I do believe that.We are creatures of habit.We have our own way of viewing life that is set in chilhood. Yes, with help people can change.But it takes a lot of willingness to work at it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes and if a person decides to change they need Gods guidance, without it they will remain the same.

• 1 decade ago

Dr. Phil knows best!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes. people do what they know and will repeat that behavior in a similiar situation unless they are taught other ways to respond.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, and contrary to the false hopes of some, people never change.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.