Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

what are your top 5 worst cover versions of songs?

my personal choices are, in no particular order: boyzone- when the going gets tough, mariah carey and westlife-against all odds, will young-light my fire, N.trance-staylin' alive, 911-more than a woman, steps- tragedy, atomic kitten- the tide is high, girls aloud- jump, geri halliwell-its raining men, mad'house- any madonna track they ruined in its entirety

in addition what do you think of cover versions in general? should singers be allowed to sing renditions of other people's songs? which songs do you suggest should never be covered by a band or singer, EVER? love to read your views on this

oops! i suggested ten by mistake! sorry!

oh and i would add also 'love is all around by' wet, wet, wet. i absolutely hate that song in its entirety. it drives me insane every time i hear it

Favorite Answer

Your list basically "covers" the main culprits, and those are boy / girl crappy pop bands massacring perfectly good pop songs, and not adding anything new to them

In order to cover a song, you have to add something new to it, and make it your own song. Whats the point of recording someone else's song note for note? You might as well get the original !!!

Adding to your list, I would include the whole of Duran Duran's "Thank You" Album (Recently Voted worst album ever in "Q" Magazine) where they completely destroyed classics such as "911 is a joke" by Public Enemy and "White Lines" by Grandmaster Flash to name a few.

Basically "Classics" should not be touched. Things like Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or Eagles "Hotel California" or "Crazy" by Gnarls Barcley" etc.

I like cover versions when the artists make the song their own. A good example would be "The Boy Least Likely" with their cover of George Michael's Faith. They slowed the song down, gave it a Country and Western feel, and included hand claps, xylophone and a banjo. In theory it should not work, but by God it does.

And for the ultimate Cover version.... You should listen to Jeff Buckleys "Hallelujah", which was originally done by Leonard Cohen. That song sends shivers down my spine everytime I listen to it, and if nobody is moved by it, then they must be dead.

Arguably the two 'greatest' covers were by Wet Wet Wet doing The Troggs' Love Is All Around Me and Dr And The Medics doing Norman Greenbaums' Spirit In The Sky.

Not keen on the Wets version of Love Is .... But love both versions of Spirit In The Sky. Another good one is The Damneds version of Eloise, can't remember who did the original. And no, i don't have a problem with bands doing covers. Yes, my favourite band did a version of Simon and Garfunkles' America. It's superb.

Give it a go if you think you can bring something different to it.

In Your Eyes Jeff Martin

All Along the Watch Tower Jimi Hendrix

Lucy In the Sky Elton John

Brown Eyed Girl The Black Sorrows

Knocking on Heavens Door Guns and Roses

Seasons in the sun - Westlife

Word Up - Melanie B (although the Gun cover version was brill!)

I'm your man - Shane Ritchie

More More More - Rachel Stevens

Under The Bridge - All Saints

I guess it depends whether the cover version is a complete re-working of the song - e.g. Pet Shop Boys Always on my mind. Some are terrible!!!

Covers I used to be stunned: (there used to be just one) Tainted Love- Soft Cell Covers I love Sweet Dreams are made of those- Marilyn Manson Hurt- Johnny Cash Hallelujh- Jeff Buckley You spin me proper circular- Dope Personal Jesus- Marilyn Manson People have already recounted the covers I hate.

Covers i substitute into bowled over: (there substitute into in basic terms one) Tainted Love- tender cellular Covers i like candy goals are made up of those- Marilyn Manson injury- Johnny money Hallelujh- Jeff Buckley You spin me precise around- Dope very own Jesus- Marilyn Manson human beings have already mentioned the covers I hate.

The worst cover version I have ever heard and it makes my blood boil every time I hear it is Ronan Keating singing Iris. He should never have been allowed anywhere near this superb song! Sacrilege! Can't think of any others at present!

• unrue

Covers I was once bowled over: (there was only one) Tainted Love- smooth mobilephone Covers i like candy desires are made of those- Marilyn Manson harm- Johnny money Hallelujh- Jeff Buckley You spin me right round- Dope personal Jesus- Marilyn Manson persons have already recounted the covers I hate.

All 5 would be Westlife, have they done any of their own? i avoid all noise they do'. As for covers in general they should not be released as a single,only as a album filler....1 song per album.

Can't think of 5 right now but Iris by Ronan Keating is awful!