therandman asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

When and Why did the Boise State Broncos decide to go with a blue field?

The field is interesting. I can't tell if I like it or not! What do you guys think?

spy - seriously? Bosie has that many birds?

Thanks Cooley!

Favorite Answer

The stadium opened in 1970 as a replacement for the original Bronco Stadium, a small facility built in 1950. The new stadium cost $2.2 million and originally sat 14,500. It originally consisted of two sideline grandstands, the west having a second deck. The field was green astroturf. In 1974 the second deck was added to the east side, bringing the capacity to 20,000, with 2,600 temporary seats brought in for bigger games. A new green astroturf field was installed in 1978. The most notable change occurred in 1986, when the university first installed the stadium’s trademark blue Astroturf (sometimes derided as “Smurf Turf”). It was replaced in 1995, as a part of a major stadium expansion which added seats to both southern ends of the sideline grandstands, which now curved around the stadium’s orange-colored Ed Jacoby Track (orange is the other school color), and adding the Allen Noble Hall of Fame Gallery and the Larry and Marianne Williams Plaza to the southwest corner. Both are attached to the Nicholson-Yanke Athletic Center, an original part of the stadium, as is the Fedrizzi Fitness Center Annex (1988/2004) and the Bronco Football Complex (2000). Since the running track is still in use, the end zone seats remain temporary. The blue Astroturf was replaced in 2003 with blue AstroPlay, a more forgiving athletic field surface. There are many myths about the blue turf, two of the most prevalent are that there is an NCAA rule banning turf colors other than green, the NCAA has no such rule and that birds have flown into the field as if it were water. September 13, 2006 is the twentieth anniversary of the installation of the blue turf.

Source(s): wikipedia

I love it. I saw it for just a sec on Sportscenter this morning, and I loved it. It's very unique, and I thought it's great that they were brave enough to be different. It matches there team colors, too, doesn't it?

Idaho needs to get attention some how. I had forgot it was even there until you asked this questio. Napoleon dynamite is the best thing that came from there and that isn't saying much

Developed to keep the birds off of it

I think the NCAA should ban it, green or nothing.

I saw it in 1986 and it was blue then.

i think the blue turf rocks.