Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Latin Synopsis!?

Can you show me how to do a Synopsis

using the words

do, dare, dedi, datus &

terreo, terrere, terrui, territus.

I only need the synopsis for present, imperfect, future,and perfect.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

This is a very important part of your beginning Latin classes. It sucks really bad, but when you get to the fun stuff like reading descriptions of epic battles, you don't want to get hung up on the tense of a verb.

Verbs have 6 essential parts

Conjugation: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd(i), 4th

Person: 1st person, 2nd person, 3rd person

Number: Singular or Plural

Tense: Past Perfect (pluperfect), imperfect, perfect, present, future perfect, future

Voice: Active or Passive

Mood: Indicative, Subjunctive, Imperative, Gerundive, Gerund, Participle, Infinitive, Supine etc.

The two verbs that you have been given are a 1st conjugation verb and a 2nd conjugation verb. You have been asked to write a synopsis for 4 of the 6 tenses using all 3 Persons and both Numbers (6 total). You haven't specified whether you have learned Active and Passive yet. I assume you are only doing the Indicative.

You have been given the 4 principle parts of two verbs. These parts help show you what the verb will look like in a synopsis.

Of the 4 principle parts the first is the

1st person singular present active indicative form of the verb

the second

no person no number present active infinitive form of the verb

the third

1st person singular perfect active indicative form of the verb

the fourth

no person singular perfect passive participle form of the verb

For the present active tense:

look at the first and second principle parts of the verb. These tell you that it is a 1st conjugation and will follow that pattern:

-o

-as

-at

-amus

-atis

-ant

For the perfect active indicative form look at the 3rd principle part

dare is an irregular verb:

dedi

dedisti

dedit

dedimus

dedistis

dederunt (and possibly dedere, but ask your teacher about the alternative version of the perfect 3rd person plural)

imperfect comes from the 2nd principle part, just chop off the -re and add:

bam

bas

bat

bamus

batis

bant

Future you do the same thing except it's:

bo

bis

bit

bimus

bitis

bunt

That's 24 forms for 1 verb

It's similar for 2nd 3rd, 3rd(i) and 4th, but refer to the grammar for changes. It has to do with the vowel used.

As I said before, you must memorize these table and be able to spit them out very quickly

There are 6 tenses, 2 numbers, 3 persons, 5 conjugations, 2 voices, and 2 main moods (indicative and subjunctive)

In your 3rd college semester, you would be expect to spit out the 144 main forms of the verb portare for example. Once you can identify the grammar of each individual word that could possibly be thrown at you, you only have to worry about vocabulary and syntax. Keep it up; it's worth it.

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_conjugation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_irregular_verbs down load a pdf version of a Latin grammar plus text books here: http://www.textkit.com/ you can also get some help short of doing your homework I noticed that wikipedia lacks the irregular verb pattern for dare, and so I will spend the next half hour writing in this part of the article.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Latin Verb Synopsis

• 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Latin Synopsis!?

Can you show me how to do a Synopsis

using the words

do, dare, dedi, datus &

terreo, terrere, terrui, territus.

I only need the synopsis for present, imperfect, future,and perfect.

Source(s): latin synopsis: https://shortly.im/iWENP
  • 1 decade ago

Perhaps by stating the initial form of the verb, then the stem plus the remaining endings like this.

do, [da-], -s, -t, -mus, -tis, -nt

dabam, [da-], -bas, -bat, -bamus, -batis, -bant

dabo, [da-], -bis, -bit, -bimus, -bitis, -bunt

dedi, [ded-], -isti, -it, -imus, -istis, -erunt

terreo, [terre-], endings as for do

terrebam, [terre-], endings as for dabam

terrebo, [terre-], endings as for dabo

terrui, [terru-], endings as for dedi

terreo, terre-, endings as above

Source(s): Latin Grammar for Schools & Colleges - Gillies & Shepherd
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.