L asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

First Time FF drafter, 9th pick on 12 team league, How did I fare the draft? Can I stay on top 3?

QB Jake Plummer, Den QB

RB Steven Jackson, StL RB

RB/WR Willie Parker, Pit RB

RB/WR Darrell Jackson, Sea WR

WR Marvin Harrison, Ind WR

TE Jason Witten, Dal TE

D/ST Panthers D/ST, Car D/ST

K Jason Elam, Den K P Active

Bench RB/WR Tatum Bell, Den RB

Bench Drew Brees, NO QB

Bench Reggie Brown, Phi WR

Bench Kevin Curtis, StL WR

Bench Marcus Pollard, Det TE

Bench D/ST Cowboys D/ST, Dal D/ST

Favorite Answer

Overall, IMO a pretty good draft. One thing to keep in mind is that RB's will make or break your team, with QB probably the most overrated position out there.

Jackson and Parker should get plenty of cvarries, especially Parker since Big Ben is out. Marvin Harrison and Darrell Jackson are both solid WR's, and with Edge gone from Indy, Harrison could have a big day.

Jake Plummer is one of those guys that will make or break you. Hard to tell which one shows up on a given Sunday. If Brees is healthy and Reggie Bush breaks out, Brees could put up some big numbers in NO.

Jason Witten is a good pick at TE as Parcells loves to use them, especially in the redzone.

The CAR defense should be good this year and Elam is usually a good pick, especially when he kicks at Mile High, or whatever they call the stadium in DEN. Cowboys DEF has a good front 7, but the secondary will still struggle. On thing to watch out for, if the OL cannot protect Bledsoe, or block for the RB's, the DEF may spend a lot of time on the field.

Hard to say on Tatum Bell, but usually I avoid DEN RB's since they use a "RB by committee" approach.

Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis are not bad 3rd WR's, but I wouldn't start them unless you have to.

The only pick that I disagree with is Marcus Pollard. When Peyton Manning is the QB he was a fairly good play at TE, but in the train wreck that is DET (the coach killer), I wouldn't take anyone on their offense.

Here are a couple of sleeper picks if they are still out there. SF RB Frank Gore and SF TE Vernon Davis. The 49ers Offensive coordinator Norv Turner (Dallas OC in SB years) loves a power running game and using his TE's. Vernon Davis runs a 4.5 in the 40, and is faster than most defensive backs. Opposing LB's will have a rough time trying to stay with him, and he should see plenty of 1 on 1 coverage.

One thing to remember is be patient and don't give up on your starters too soon. You can easily over think your line up from week to week, but do stay up on who's doing what and watch the waiver wire.

I've been a no. 1 seed and a no. 2 seed going into the playoffs and lost all of my games both years. The guy that was no. 8 in my first year, won all three of his playoff games and took the whole thing.

Most of all have fun and don't get discouraged.