esme_wolf asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Is anyone here a dentist?

I have a bump on the back of my tongue, it has been there for probably about 2 weeks and it's quite painful. I don't really have time to go to the dentists/doctors, and I don't want to make a trip for something that is insignificant in the first place. I'm not sure, if I need to go to the dentists. If anyone has any ideas it would be helpful.

Favorite Answer

We could list twenty things that might appear as a bump on the back of your tongue, but that list would be useless without someone actually laying eyes on you and making the proper diagnosis. While it is not the most likely thing, this could indeed be cancer and I'd hate to be the one who told you on the internet to rinse with salt water and forget about it. MAKE time and get it checked out.

Any time you have a bump and you don't know how you got it you should have it checked out. Could be something as simple as a canker sore but it could be something serious. Make the time to go see your dentist two weeks is a long time and if the bump is not better by now you need to have it looked at. Don't wait any longer

Rinse after meals with salt water for 3 days - if the sore continues to be uncomfortable, then go see your family physician...not your dentist. If your have a fever - go to your doctor earlier than 3 days, may be an bacterial infection requiring an antibiotic.

There is an extremely minimal likelyhood of cancer - buy a lottery ticket, chances are better.

Anything that is "quite painful" for two weeks is serious. Dentists screen for oral cancer all the time and they are well-qualified to find abnormalities in the mouth.

Many dentists, if they find something suspicious, will send a tissue sample in to a lab for analysis or refer a patient to a specialist.

your kidding right? you have the time to sit down and ask a question here but you dont to go to the dentist to check out something serious? You need to re think your priorities in life

go to a doc not to a dentist, dentist are for the teeth, gums so go if u want

IT may be an allergic reaction or so type of cancer but you should go to your general doctor.

go to the dentist, it might be cancerous.

• Meow

its best if you go to a denstist