I can't seem to get my Diagonal right.?

Well, its be awfully hard getting on the right beat with my horse and I was woundering if there is anything I can do to make myself get on the right beat without having to double bump.

Yes, my horse has had a hoove injury, and he is a Quarter Horse. It is difficult also cause he can tend to slow down to a walk without warning.

Favorite Answer

I have a TB mare that kicks and almost always injures her right hind, or her front toes grow fast (and I have to make her go 6-7 weeks between shoes). This makes for a difficult left diagonal.

assuming you know HOW to properly post and check your diagonal - what I found to work was rather then posting UP on the diagonal, I'll let my horse fall OUT from under me. I then am not fighting with the irregular beat. So rather then Rise then Sit, I let her fall out..then come back.

After explaining this to a few people - they got the hang of it too...now about every 5th week when her toes get long or she's had a fight with her neighbor, we have to change from the common post to the 'Mystical' post.

I had a teacher do the best thing for me when I had problems with diagonals. We spent a 1/2 hour of me asking the horse into the trot. I would then start posting and then looking at the shoulder I would say if I was on the right diagonal or not - she would then tell me if I was right or not. We would trot maybe for 20 strides then come back down into the walk and do it again. It took about 3 lessons like this before I could actually feel the trot and be on the right lead right away.

I have been on some horses that are so smooth that you can almost not tell the diagonal with out looking at the shoulder. My current horse actually bounces me onto the correct diagonal if I sit the first 2 strides.

Thats another suggestion, sit the first couple of strides and let the horses gate bounce you into the posting trot. Unless the trot is really smooth that should also work.

Another way to avoid the double bump is to just post up and hold it, and make sure to watch for the outside shoulder. Make sure hes working from his hind in and not digging his front in the ground, usually when I experience difficulty getting the propper diagonals is was usually when my horse wasn't working from his hind end and heavy on forehand. That isn't always the case, a good way to help figure out whats going on is to set up a video camera and record yourself ridding, that has always helped me out. Good luck.

Try, once you've noticed the asynchronization, to keep yourself in the air just a bit longer than normal to equal things out. This takes a little practice, but is doable.

If your horse has ever had any leg injuries, expect to have a much harder time with it, because his paces can be abnormal. I had a quarter horse with a crazy canter since he'd injured his leg in the past. Just be patient and spend lots of time with him to get used to it.