Office culture?

I started a new job last week in an accounting firm. I was introduced to senior managers and partners, who I have dubbed in my mind "window people" because their offices have windows.

I was not introduced to anyone else, "cubicle people" for example. I have an interior office-no window.

WhenI introduced myself to the few people I met in the hallways, they said "nice to meet you" and hurried off before telling me their names. I feel a ghost in this eerie place. There are very few people around.

What would you do if you were me, if anything?

Favorite Answer

Accountants are weird folks. Their whole year revolves around the tax deadline on April 15th, so from roughly New Year's until then is their "busy season" and they work very long days. After 4/15, a lot of them take it easy over the summer - at the firm I used to work for, a lot of people took long vacations or went back to school. (I was in marketing so I was always there, ha!) Depending on the firm, a lot of the staff may often be out at client sites as well. So I think it's likely that everyone may not know each other very well because they are hardly there. Just give it some time and eventually you'll get to know everyone. Good luck!!

Source(s): Used to work at an accounting firm

It sounds like a place that has a bad culture. When people in an office act as you describe they are showing fear. They are expecting you to be gone before long and don't want you to ask them anything. You have no choice now but to see it out but keep your eyes open.

Just keep introducing yourself to new people, and greeting the ones you've already met with a smile. Can't go wrong doing that.

Find out who your peers are - those most closely related to you in the political and organizational structures, and try and to get out to lunch with them.

Give it time, but it sounds like you're off to a good start.

Good luck.

Make (or buy) cookies or something and put them in the break room. People love free food and will usually find out who brought it. Use that as a way to introduce yourself. I did that and I was soon the most popular person in the store.

Give it some time.... allow people time to warm up to you. Perhaps they were too busy or intimidated by your position (which you neglected to mention in your question).

Just be sure that you do not give off an unapproachable vibe.... which will result in most of your co-workers sticking to this standoff approach.

Oh - and I would avoid the bring in food to make friends advice...that is too kiss a%$...and trying too hard.

• forget the people make your own way in to it friends are not the most importan things as your job is the only reason making you have a life don't think what other people may think about you!

go around to each cubicle and leave a homemade cookie with your name on it and what cubicle you are in and ask anyone to come thank you in person for their cookie and get to know them that way who wouldn't want to meet someone that makes great homemade cookies

Welcome to life in the office...here's how I spend most of my time in order to get by.

I spend it mostly trying to come up with schemes that will help me get ahead while blackmailing everyone else to stay put.

Maybe they're the "Stepford" employees

Count your pay cheque.