dOnNa asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

At loud rock concerts, is it okay to plug your ears or to bring earplugs?

Don't get me wrong, I love the music. I just have sensitive ears, so concerts get a little loud sometimes. Is it ok for me to stick my fingers in my ears and still sing along or have fun?

Favorite Answer

Of course. It's a free country, and if half the people at the concert want to deafen themselves by age 20, that's their perrogative. There's nothing wrong with having earplugs; the performers use them as well. (Imagine how loud it is 3 feet from the speakers.)

The last time I went to a rock concert with earplugs, the worst that happened was one got stuck in my ear from all the jumping.

So, enough rambling. A definitive: "Yes."

Great question and I'm fully qualified to answer it, (I did a speech on Rock Concert Etiquette) Plugging your ears is totally unnecessary, just get a good pair of plugs, you'll want a squishy kind that you can squeeze into your ear. Those work well and they're comfortable. Ear plugs are important if you're indoors at the concert because the sound is so much closer and vibrates off of everything. Outdoors you might not need your plugs since there's so much more open space, but take them along just in case.

And yes, by all means have fun at the show, that's the whole point of going!

Source(s): Rock concert goer who's never had an ear problem.

I love going to live gigs also.. But the music is extremely loud and I find that after leaving a concert my ears are ringing for quite some time...

I dont want to go Deaf but I also want to keep going to concerts.. So I take ear plugs! no harm in protecting yourself whilst having fun aye.. Kinda like wearing a rubber during sex lol.. You can still hear fine with them in, it just stops the vibrations etc..

If you stick your fingers in your ears, it will look like you aren't having fun. It's a better idea to get some good earplugs. I wear them to almost every concert I go to (unless it's a quieter acoustic show). I don't want to go deaf by the time I'm 40!

Source(s): years of going to concerts

I am 22 and I have hearing problems because of how many concerts I used to go to. I still go to shows but I don't stand in front of the speaker anymore...(my discman also did some damage) so I would say ear plugs are a okay!

• I never wore earplugs or protection at concerts, played music louder than required,, now I have a major loss in my hearing department.

If you want to save your ears, protection is the best.

But I love loud music, so I'll be deaf before 50!

Yes,you can use an earplugs if you want to protect your ear from the loud music.

Yes it is, Its not just rock concerts that are loud, any concerts you go to our loud. And even with ear plugs you can still hear them loud and clear!

Source(s): Personal Experience.

It certainly isn't rude- the band themselves might be doing it. Let me tell you, I wish I had done that one night in particular. It only takes one inexperienced soundman to give you tinnitus for life. I'd definitely bring earplugs rather than putting your fingers in your ears or otherwise making it obvious that that's what you're doing. Earplugs are so small and unnoticeable, nobody should care.

I was at a loud concert once and in desperation packed dampened napkin shreds in my ears and it actually made the music sound better at about a third the noise level.

Source(s): No animals or plants were harmed in the answering of this question. Any similarity with any person, living or dead, is purely coincidental and unintended. This answer contains a substance known by the state of California to cause excessive moronic stupidity. Use with adequate ventilation.