how to raise emotionally healthy boys???

I have 2 boys ages 3 and 7. I would like to have advice on how to help raise them to be eomtionally aware and to express their emotions in healthy ways....how to encourage them to do this....also ...my 7 yr. old doesnt know how to identify and express this emotions well and I can see this in him ...how can I help him identify them and to let the boys know it is ok to feel and express it. There is so much stigma about men being weak or sissy if they feel and express it and I dont want that for them it is so much healthier to just be human ...web sites would help me as well. thanks

Favorite Answer

You might want to look into EQ (Emotional Quoficient- opposite of IQ). It all begins with the parents- kids will copy what they see works.

Here are some good articles on it.

Emotional awareness is easy if you work on it. First, you have to know what emotion you are feeling. Then, you have to acknowledge it. This is best applied by saying it. You can be a great example by talking through your actions and decisions, and letting your boys know what you are feeling. Never punish them for appropriately expressing their feelings. Ask them how a situation makes them feel. What you will probably get is boys who use their words to express themselves rather than by other means.

i wouldn't overobsess for one,but try raising them by example... express your feelings(etc.) and ask them what they are feeling... maybe you would like to try to implement this formula into your subconcious: i feel(fill in feeling) when(whatever the reason) because(why) and what i really want is(what it may be)... teach them this on an age appropriate level....i recently completed parenting classes and found out that i really did not have all the answers before(although i had alot)...remember that raising children is a learning process as is anyhting new you go through...best of luck,i know you can do it- the first step is wanting to.

Source(s): so far, so great, mother of 2 little girls(ages 9 & 3)

keep the television off, get them to read, invite nature into their lives, show them the ways of our earth that are natural and fascinating, give them hugs all the time, talk it out, let them make decisions, hear what they say, but add your input your suggestions as they age, if you aren't demanding and pushy they will respect your opinion and see it as love and not parental control, The outdoors has its way of letting boys grasp their manhood while maintaing a great level of depth for sincereity and beauty, enjoy them, they grow up fast, oh and get them to mow the lawn as much as possible when they hit that right age, it lets them get dirty and feel like they accomplished some man duties.

I don't think I know any emotionally healthy men. I certainly wouldn't claim to be one myself. Don't tease them if they cry maybe. Maybe some movies that deal with emotions would help. Mushy stuff and all that might have a lasting impression.

Source(s): guessing

Get them involved in educational programs. Spiritual education is first, material education is second.

In ancient time the child would be sent to the boarding school of the spiritual master at the age of five. He would be a celibate student until eighteen or twentyfive years of age.

So, education, education education............

Source(s): Vegetarian Counseling: All-natural, wholistic perspective to Counseling http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vegetariancounseling CHILDREN: Explore the full spectrum in understanding the phenomena of childhood. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/achild Vegetarian Homeschooling: Share online resources and related concerns. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/veghomeschooling Read Bhagavad Gita As It Is http://www.asitis.com

They will emulate what ever you or any male "figure" that is regularly around them.

Remember, you raise people, not children.

Dr. Phil seems to have some good values; I'd check there.

Maybe consider a local church in your area; many have parent and family programs.

Source(s): www.drphil.com

...it's hard raising children by yourself...you need a man and woman to raise a child...a man teaches responsibilities ..a woman teaches love..find a good role model for your boys...to show them how to be men...and if your husband can't do the job tell him you're going to find someone who will...work on his ego..

do not treat them as children. treat them with respect as a fellow human being. don't try to control them , but show them by example.

don't tell them what to do, but ask them what do they think they need to do. put the responsabilty on them. show the way to self reliance.

Relax Mom. You can't live someone else's life for them.