Do non-believers celebrate Christmas?

Do you receive or give gifts, spend time with family, etc.?

• Witchy
    Favorite Answer

I do not celebrate Christmas. I have never believed in Santa Clause, reindeer, and do not care for the tradition of killing a perfectly good tree to watch it slowly die in my home. I do not celebrate the births of deities that I do not worship. I usually volunteer to work for those who would like to celebrate their holiday. I have nothing against others choosing to celebrate it and like it when they respect my wishes in return or volunteer to work for me on the religious holidays that I celebrate.

Christmas does actually have origins in paganism, however, most Christians, Protestant as well as Catholics do celebrate it, only not for the exact same reasons. For the Catholics, it is what the name implies. Christ, mass. Or Christmas. Most protestants don't celebrate any mass, period. We believe that Jesus is the reason for the season, and we are actually celebrating the birth of Christ, by imulating what the wise men did when they saw the star of bethlehem. They brought baby Jesus gifts from the Orient, and the gifts were in honor of who He was. Nowadays, people tend to forget that Jesus is the reason for the season, and it has become so commercialized, with each store owner trying to outdo the other, that the real message tends to get lost. Now, schools call it the winter holidays, and it is still a time of giving gifts and spending time with family, because everyone is usually out of work and school on that day, and until after the 1st of the New Year. So I would say even those that don't believe in Christ, still celebrate Christmas. And sometimes, its one of the two times per year, (Easter is another one), when some of them even bother to go to church. The going joke at my church is calling them the Christmas and Easter crowd.

Source(s): PS-Jesus'birth wasn't really in December either, but it's the end of the year, and a time for hope for the new year, and a reflection of the old as well.
  • Jim L

Yes, my wife and I do "celebrate" Christmas, but only in a secular humanistic way. Its nice to have a time of the year that we can take a week off and visit relatives. Some of our relatives are religious and we try to be respectful of their beliefs. We do exchange gifts with familly and friends, but that's just a given in this culture we are in. Frankly, I find the extreme commercialization of Christmas to be annoying, and all of the hype about the "war on Christmas" last year to be even more annoying.

Yep. I celebrate all holidays!! I particularly enjoy the winter holiday season. I decorate with a tree. and stag candle holders (which I collect, you know where the antlers are all lit up with candles!!!) Very pagan. I love all the glitter and the balls and the stars. I wouldn't miss it for anything. I love to celebrate the seasons and care very little about who owns the holidays or where they originated. I love to learn the traditions of other cultures. I'm very spirited when it comes to holidays. I never met a holiday or Season I didn't like. But I really don't celebrate Jesus at all. Not out of disrespect I just don't believe in it and therefore, I'm not drawn to nativity or baby Jesus motifs. But I do celebrate the holiday and I enjoy my Christian friends.

yes. I-we celebrate christmas . Hardly anybody ev en thinks about it being a religious holiday. In fact, it isn't. It is a pagan holiday and a Wal-Mart holiday. Perhaps one and the same.

Just walk down the street and ask the first 20 people you meet what Christmas means to them. You will be surprised.

Of course nonbelievers celebrate Christmas. Nonbelievers CREATED Christmas. December 25 was celebrated as the birthday of many gods long before Christianity even existed.

They celebrate the "Holiday Season" which has nothing to do with Jesus' birthday. They get together with family, put up a Christmas tree, and open gifts, but as far as remembering it as the birthday of our saviour, no they don't celebrate.

Christmas is such a secular holiday that I bet even Bin Laden celebrates it.

I don't give presents because I don't buy into the mass marketing behind the holiday.

A good question indeed. I sometimes wonder why people celebrates a birthday without greeting the One who is the party's owner.

But it's true, everybody celebrates Christmas,...just for tradition??

• Lavina

Chiristmas was originally known as a Pagan holiday. This holiday was known as Yule, and it was celebrated to thank the gods and goddesses for the year's harvest and to also ensure a good harvest for the next year. Oh, and by the way, I'm a Pagan. So, I guess you can say I celebrate. :)