Does anyone know how I can find out what a grade on an eye exam means?

I just had an eye exam, and I forgot to ask the doctor what my grade meant (I do need glasses - I think the grade was 1.50 ... I don't know what this means in terms of severity). There's a section that says: PD (DIST): 59 ... I don't know what this means either.

I've been looking online for sites that might expalin this, but I haven't found any.

Favorite Answer

Are they for reading? FYI - you can get cheapo reading glasses that range from about .5-3.0 at the drug store, so consider that before you spend big bucks. Otherwise, I think it would be smart to call your doc and ask him for more details. He is the one that checked out your eyes and can give you the most personal and in-depth info about them and your perscription as well. It is always good to ask questions while you're there too - no matter what kind of doctor.

• Teresa

It really isn't that bad at all. I've had it done numerous times. It really is more mind over matter. They usually put two drops in..the first one will "numb" your eye. The second one will dilate your eye. Things don't really look that different, however you will be very sensitive to light. It takes around 4 hours to wear off. I really don't think that there is very much risk of people getting sick or fainting. It is in the long run a better idea to just get the dilation done. They can check for long term, permanent problems. It really isn't an inconvenience to you. Make sure you bring sunglasses with you!

Call your eye doctor and ask him to explain it to you. It is his job to do this if you don't understand.

google.com probally i dont know