My computer won't play some dvds but it will play others?

My computer will begin playing it, but then it acts like it is skipping then it freezes up. The dvds will play in my friend's dvd player, but not in my computer. I know my computer works because I watch dvds on it all of the time, only certain dvds won't work. HELP!!!!! (please)

The issue is only with new dvds...if it is trouble with the copyright, how do I get around it?

Favorite Answer

I had the same problem with my computer. So I bought Power-DVD software which has played all the ones that didn't at first. I actually found it on EBay for alot cheaper. I believe they have a 30 day trial period to try it out. Hope this helps.

• some of the new DVDs are copyrighted. Search the web about legal licensing to burn and copy. Also make sure the component is compatible with the DVD disk.

• Goffik

You could try searching for updated firmware for your DVD drive, or updates to the software you are using to watch DVDs. If that doesn't work, a new DVD drive will probably do the trick. They're pretty cheap these days.

Hello aphid87,

Is that commercial DVDs you're talking about or are you talking about playing DVD+R disks or DVD-R disks? I know some drives will only work with one or the other. Do you think that this might be the case?

--Rick

ah.. is it to do with the DVD's regional setting?

same with my computer.. although maybe not yours because it would say.. but i'd check your DVD software and have a look just in case, that could be the problem.

it may be your dvd drive it may need cleaning.if it was copyright then it wont play at all.

probaby you need to clean ur laser to do that go to walmart and get a cd laser clearner.

get a new computer.