Are the chemicals in disposable diapers toxic?

Just wanted to know if they contain chemicals in those crystals that are carcinogens or could pose any kind of health risks to my children? Thanks! It seems that the crystals end up on my children no matter how often I change them.

Favorite Answer

My daughter wore them from the time she was born , she is now 17 and fine.

Source(s): :)

Numerous chemicals are emitted from commercial disposables, such as those from the polypropylene liner and polyethylene backing.3 In fact, scientists have discovered that the chemicals in disposables, when inhaled, are toxic to the respiratory system. Although studied on mice, the response was clear and the researchers concluded that diapers should be considered as one of the factors that might cause or exacerbate asthmatic conditions.4

Disposable diapers contain bleached materials. Although the U.S. paper mill industry has made improvements to reduce toxic waste output over the last few years, concerns remain surrounding this process. Ultimately the manufacture of diapers with bleached products puts all humans and animal at higher risk for health damages.5,6,7 We would all do well to avoid these hazardous chemicals.

Although there is no specific scientific link between diapers and the aforementioned conditions, the manufacturing of diapers with bleached products puts all humans and animals at a higher risk in general.

We would all do well to avoid these hazardous chemicals. Moreover, could dioxins still remain in the diaper itself, thus exposing your baby and family to them more directly? Possibly, but this is not something supported by scientific study.

Even more worrisome are the super-absorbent diapers, which often contain cross-linked sodium polyacrylate, a powder that turns to a gel in contact with liquid. This is the same substance associated with toxic shock syndrome from ultra-absorbent feminine hygiene tampons.8 Although negative health symptoms have not been directly linked in the case of diapers, these types of chemicals are just better to avoid, especially when they are in products in close contact with such sensitive areas of the body.

There are more environmentally friendly disposable diaper manufacturers that do not use chlorine in the bleaching process (such as the maker of Tushies). Although they are more expensive than conventional disposables, using these products reduces the health concerns posed by chlorine and its toxic byproducts.

Why not avoid the possibility all together and use cloth diapers?

I know, I know, they cause more laundry. Too bad. So you have to do 2 more loads of laundry a week. Big deal. Such a small sacrifice for the health and safety of your baby.

All that plastic, paper and chemicals against your baby's skin. That can't be good no matter if they are toxic or not.

Your baby will potty train sooner when wearing cloth diapers because they can feel the wetness and don't like it therefore they want to be out of diapers sooner.

Not to mention our landfills. I can't believe that the plastic, paper, chemicals and human waste going into our landfills is a good thing. The human waste breeds harmful bacteria that filters down into our drinking water, hmmmmm. . . . yummy! The diaper itself will take decades to decay.

Maybe I'll just pile them up in your backyard to see how long the last. That's what we do when we put them in the landfill, we pile them up in someone else's back yard.

Think about it. Isn't it your baby's health and comfort that should come first, not the convenience for you when it comes to changing the diaper?? Your baby should come first.

Good luck.

those crystals contain many of the same stuff latex does. My daughter can't wear disposable diapers because of her latex allergy--- if your children are having any kind of problem from the crystals talk to your doctor about possible allergies, but the crystals are non-toxic or they wouldn't allow them to be used in diapers.

I really don't know anything about the chemicals, but they never hurt my daughter. I did find that using Pampers caused more of the crystal stuff...which I hated! I switched to White Cloud, they worked much better with leaks and didn't cause the crystal residue.

With my kids the diapers were toxic after they filled them.Those crystal things are harmless.

They are a safe inert polymer. No need to worry.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question207.htm

if they were, do you think they would be in diapers? c'mon....we're in 2006