__@__ asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Is it illegal to take pictures of people on the street, fairs, parties in Seattle? Like street photography?

I like taking random shots of people on the street, most of them are crappy, like just legs walking or the whole street. But sometimes I look and see people doing funny antics, or just simply being cute, and I crop and post it on my online album.

I have my own website and when I go to parties and events (like Bumbershoot) I take pictures and post on site. Sometimes, my "random street shots" show interesting stuff and I want to post them too.

Oh, and it's just a personal website, so I don't get paid with any of the pictures I post. I take pictures just for fun.

Here is a sample of some random street shot I did at the Bumbershoot. I took a pic of people looking at this ride that go up down up down. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/starbooze/w...

and when I zoom on the picture I took, I saw a cute dad and son. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/starbooze/y... Dad looked like he want to ride it, son looked afraid! It was so cute! And I like to post it on my site.

Favorite Answer

I don't think it's illegal to take pictures as long as it's in public.

nope....it's a little thing called public domain and is why so many reporters and photographers are able to photograph celebrities while they're are out on a jaunt.

it is also legal to publish those photographs anyway the artist sees fit. (This was why the press protection Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt were all about with the birth of their baby was so controversial)

However it is unlawful, not illegal, to place a caption with those photographs remarking that the person in the photograph is a member of some organization. Should the person who was photographed take offense to the label they have been given when it is CLEARLY not the case, they can bring a lawsuit up upon the publisher, editor and artist, regarding slander and liability.

However, if you register the photographs as your private domain that no longer makes the photographs public domain, such as if you personally were the only one to receive a profit....and the subject of the photo is paid as if a modelling job, utilizing a studio of sorts or posing of the artist model or artist photographer, then a seperate contract would be needed to protect the rights of both the model and the photographer for legal stipulatins that may need further regulating from the labor board or eithers labor union.

It is legal but the way you use the pictures may not be. Many people don't like their picture taken and I wonder what their up to sometimes. A few years ago there were news stories about a new federal law that made it illegal to take a picture of anyone without there written consent. I researched this and found nothing. Just shows you that you can't believe everything you here in the news.

I don't see any reason that you can't post the pictures since the people were in a public area. You should be able to post them without a problem. I'm not a legal buff, so I can't be 100% positive but I think its okay. Go with your first mind though. If you feel its going to be a problem, then don't bother. I think its okay though, and you're not planning to make a profit from the photos. If your're unsure, I would consult a free legal service and see what they think about it.

It's legal. General rule of thumb, if you can see it from the street, you can take a picture of it legally.

If you publish the pictures, you'd need a release from the people, but otherwise, I don't think so.

My understanding of the law is that it is legal to take still photographs of someone in situations like you've mentioned without obtaining permission. However, you should be careful to not record someone's voice without their knowledge.

If the photography is used in a commercial or publication for which you are paid you should get a signed model release from anyone whose face is recognizable in your pictures.

Source(s): No animals or plants were harmed in the answering of this question. Any similarity with any person, living or dead, is purely coincidental and unintended. This answer contains a substance known by the state of California to cause excessive moronic stupidity. Use with adequate ventilation.
  • Paul H

In general as long as you do not use the pictures for commercial purposes and use them only for editorial purposes you can use them. If you use them for commercial purposes you will need to get signed model releases.

Its legal, its called public domain. Just get permission to publish or sell the pics.....