Is a CV driveshaft longer than the stock driveshaft it replaces?

I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler (6 cyl, manual trans, Dana 35 rear axle) with 4" lift and transfer case lowering kit. I'm planning on removing the lowering kit and installing a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) kit on the t-case, and replacing the stock rear driveshaft with a CV driveshaft. I'm looking at a used CV shaft that was installed in a 2000 Wranger (6 cyl, manual trans, Dana 35 rear axle), but it seems a little short for me...it seems to me that the CV shaft has to be longer than the stock shaft in order to compensate for t-case being shorter due to installing a SYE kit - is this right?

Favorite Answer

tape measure sound like the best way to go good luck

• wzzrd

I think the shaft would be shorter because the CV joint will take up more space than the universal joint would. I saw this done on a friends pickup and they used his shaft to make it. It was all hand fabricated. My only experience is w/ an old Chevrolet so I'm not sure what the SYE would change as far as the length you need. A tapemeasure would give you a good idea wether it will work or not.