promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAustraliaSydney · 1 decade ago

Using american electronics in australia?

What will happen to electronics ie ipod charger, hair dryer/straightener if they are american made and i use them in australia with only a plug adapter (not voltage adapter)?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You will destroy the electronic. My son has and Xbox from the USA when we were in Australia, we got a voltage adapter for it. For his bday we wanted to put a bigger hard drive in it so we had to tell them that it was a USA component. They blew the circuits and had to replace it.. but that is what will happen.. Here is a site you can research it on.. We spent 99 dollars AUD on ours and had to replace the fuse only once.. I highly recommend getting one. These are what they look like and you can find them in any Electronic Store in Australia. They vary in price..

Good luck..

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I used my laptop with just a plug adapter. My camera and cell phone worked fine as well. Most electronics are rated 100-240v so there shouldn't be a problem. Just read the power supply info. It is better to use a plug adapter than a converter if possible.

• hulme
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

in case you would be procuring the vast home equipment you have stated everywhere that doesn't use 220-240v power, forget approximately it. you ought to purchase power adapters yet a) adapters to run issues like refrigerators and washing machines are very cumbersome and expensive and b) do no longer artwork in any respect nicely whilst used for an prolonged time - you will finally end up with a plenty shorter existence span for the home equipment. Australia makes use of a distinctive television gadget than many different international locations. in case you convey a television, verify this is VHF/UHF chum B/G television gadget compatible besides as 220-240v. All Australian rented residences and residences are provided with ovens and cooktops despite in the event that they're in any different case provided. ensures are no longer continuously transferrable from foreign places even whilst the variety is provided in Australia. With the present power of the AUD, procuring home equipment right here isn't any longer almost as costly because it grew to become into in user-friendly terms some months in the past.

• 1 decade ago

Have a look at all of your power supplies. Some might work with 100-240V; for these items you only need a plug adapter. For everything else you will need a voltage converter if you don't want to use them for their very last time: they might burn, explode, torch your hotel, ...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

They are 220v so some of your items might end up in smoke and 220v will burn out the plug. Most modern hotels will have a transformer built into the bathroom wall that you can use. Loot at the adapter to see if it can handle 220v. Also, thier plugs are probably different form ours so you won't be able to plug in anyway.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In Australia we use 240 volt plugs. Also, the sockets are a different shape and have three prongs. Unless you are in a good quality hotel, it would be better to buy an adaptor before you arrive or while you're here

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.