Stinky Towels,etc.???

It seems like no matter how much i try,my bath towels and kitchen towels,even washcloths end up smelling like mildew. I've washed them in cold water,hot water,warm,put downy in the rince cycle,and even if they smell fresh at first,when i get one out to use,it smells terrible again! I store them in a dry place,so that's not the problem,any ideas or words of wisdom please!!

Favorite Answer

take the durn thangs dawn tu the crick, an this time scrub em up real guud like up against one athem ther rocks, a bigin. make suure ta let the crick wata run thru them thar bretchs.when ya stroll ta town eveyboodys gonna say,"laughin eyes how ya get tha chew stains out, ya lookins real purty". ya all be a pillar of ta comu knity !

If your towels are colored you can try a color safe bleach or if they're white I would make sure to bleach them. I used to live in a home that was horrible with mildew and mold, I ended up going to a home improvement store like Lowe's and purchasing a powder called TSP (trisodium phosphate). Fill your washer with the clothes and warm or hot water. Dump in a good size scoop of the TSP and let them soak for about an hour. Afterwards let your washing machine finish washing the clothes. Make sure to add fabric softener to your wash so that they come out smelling nice. Dry as you usually would, also I would try putting some Dampz in your storage area as well, just because it seems dry doesn't mean that it is. You can get the Dampz at the same place that you get the TSP. Hope this helps.

Make sure that you have squeezed all of the water out of them. When you are washing your dishes add some bleach in your dishwater, that will help the dish towel. It could be the type of washing powder that you use as well...I only use Gain and Tide and yes these are the expensive ones, but there is just certain name brands that I have to use...Try those and see how they smell. Also, make sure that when the washier stops washing, that you don't leave your clothes in there too long, go ahead and put them in the dryer and use some dryer sheets when you dry your clothes. Wash your towels separately from the rest of you laundry...wash all of your towels together in one load...Maybe these tips can help you....Also put some baking soda in your towels when you wash them....If I think of anything else I will let you know! AL~

How long do you leave them in the washer? I pull mine out as soon as they are done. They may have mold on them and you may have a hard time ever getting the smell out. A little bit of bleach may help if it is mold, but not so much you discolor the towels. If they smell terrible it's because they do have some mold on them to an extent, even if you can't see it. You have to kill the mold. Actually just thought of something very good to try. Lay them out in the sun. The sunlight will help kill the mold. We do that for rabbit nest boxes to help disinfect them.

• x

I am betting that you have a lint filter in your washer..(A lot of people dont even KNOW they have one in there...I didnt, when I got one and had to have it serviced! They ended up taking the silly thing out, so my clothes didnt smell anymore, and the washer didnt smell sour all the time).

Or, you are leaving your clothes in the washer over night, and they "sour", by being left in this condition. Dry them soon after the wash is done, and it should take care of it.

I wish you well..

Jesse

Always wash white towels or washcloths in bleach. I wash all of my dish cloths in bleach. For colored towels, add a cup of baking soda in with the detergent when you wash them. You're not doing anything wrong. If you can't bleach colored towels, they will stink.

Use hot water and a good detergent and color safe bleach. You might want to wash your washer by running it through with a bottle of white vinegar. Dry with a dryer sheet.

Your doomed..you've been bitten by the stinky towel bug...I know someone you has had that same problem and she even threw all her towels away and bought new ones and she still has this same problem..it's always her towels and t-shirts for some odd reason...hadn't figured that one out yet...all the other laundry always smells fine!! Good luck

Try using Gain washing liquid,Gain softener(rinse cycle),Gain dryer sheets..Using all 3 may help a lot ..won't hurt to try ,That's what I did..

try adding borax along with the laundry detergent. You can find it at wal-mart in the laundry aisle. Good Luck.