Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

Do you think that most people who would go see Sufjan Stevens are Christians?

His music goes way outside the popular mainstream Chrisian music. Of course, his music isn't labeled as "Christian music" although he is Christian and he often writes about Christ. I just think it's cool that his music is simply enjoyable music, and it doesn't really matter if you're Christian or not. It's like it's not about that...yet it is. I don't know if I'm explaining what I mean very well...but what do you think?

Favorite Answer

Nah, everybody's gotta love Sufjan. His lyrics are so abstract sometimes that they could be applyed to anything, really. I listened to some of his stuff a while back and didn't find out he was a Christian until recently. It wasn't a big suprise, though.

I don't know who he is. But I'll tell you what I think. I am about to turn 34 yrs old, and when I was in my teen years, it was U2. They were a big hit at the time, and although everyone in the entire band was not a professing Christian, they had Christian based lyrics, etc. For me, I started listening to them and it was a sort of deperture from Christian music into secular music. It was kind of a stepping stone from one to the other.

I still like their music, although I am not currently listening to their music. I play in the worship band in my church and my musical focus is on worshiping God.

I don't think that you are going to hell or anything if you listen to this guy you are talking about. But there are some really cool Christian artists that are "all the way" Christians these days. I'm thinking of Jason Upton, for instance. It really depends on how strong a Christian you are and how closely you want to walk with God. He'll love you no matter what, but you might save yourself from some troubles down the road if you are careful in this area. Music is a very powerful influence, and it's not unusual for it to carry someone from one scene to another, or from one group of friends to another. Be careful of the friends and music that pick. ; )