Why cant Christians and atheists just get along?

I am a christian and I am sick of seeing all these hateful messages of people insulting each other on here by saying that their god doesnt exist or that the athiests are goin to burn for eternity. Why cant we all just respect each other's belief systems and not insult each other. To me, if you are an athiest, that is fine. But please do not insult me because I choose to believe in a God and you do not. And the same to you so called christians... stop being so hateful. Jesus forgave sinners and you should too. He never threatened them, he only helped them.

Thank you for all your answers so far. This question was not for wasting time or preaching but to get a better perspective on both sides of the issue. However, those of you who took this time to preach and say that christianity is bull (i am reffering to the particularly long winded answer) you will not get best answer. Same to christians who do not respect that some people do not want to be preached to. I am looking for someone who explains this online mini-war and possibly *gasp* a solution. (and no, avoiding religious disscussion is not a solution).

Favorite Answer

The reason many Christians and many atheists cannot "get along" is because of their ignorance and intolerance for diversity.

I personally am an atheist and I respect greatly the beliefs of Christians and other religious peoples, so long as they respect mine.

Don't be naive.

Some Aztecs believed that ritual human sacrifice was necessary every day to ensure the sun rose the next morning. Some Muslims believe that Allah wants them to slay everyone of a different faith. Some Christians believe that child molesters should be "forgiven" and allowed to continue their crimes without any repercussions.

These beliefs are all dangerous and must be confronted. If you don't have the strength to do so, then you should at least stop whining that all beliefs are worthy of respect. They most certainly are NOT.

Beauty, my boy, beauty. The face of Helen launched a thousand ships, and the clean, cathartic justice of hatred is beautiful to all those who behold it.

addendum: you're looking for a solution without a problem. People insulting one another isn't the same as people shooting or torturing each other, is it? There's much more suffering going on than arguing. This is a delight.

My view is that all of religion is pure fiction. There are no gods, goddesses, souls, angels, demons, fairies, elves, heaven, hell and whatever other supernatural things people believe in.

Now, *even if* there were no real-world consequences of people believing in these things, I would *still* try to enlighten these people because I know for a fact that once they have managed to grow out of such beliefs they will always be grateful and relieved that they did so.

However... There are very real problems which arise from people believing these things - Religious conflict, discrimination, persecution, ignorance... all kinds of atrocities and social ills.

Allowing people to believe irrational nonsense unchallenged is simply not an option.

I think DuckPhlp or whatever won this question..good lord.

People like you frustrate the "so-called christians." You egg em on like a little boy. Christians are NORMAL people that believe in God. We dont have wings or anything unusual, just faith. The guy with the cardinal rule is a genius. If you dont believe in anything then dont post a question regarding belief. Your wasting my time and yours, theoretically.

Ya know, this Christian is totally in your corner. I have many friends who are atheists, and we enjoy arguing and talking about God...why I believe, why I don't. I've even had a couple of old debating buddies come to faith as a result of talking to Christians who know why AND what they believe.

However, picking a fight on this board doesn't work, and is counter to the goals of evangelism, whether you are atheist or Christian. When an honest question appears, I answer it. When someone is provoking, I confront it, with respect.

I don't know..............but I love the way you think. I think everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and the world could do with a lot more understanding, tact, and grace about their religion and how they interact with others of a different belief. Maybe it comes from a feeling of wanting everyone to believe that they are right and the othe beliefs are wrong. Personally I think the last thing that is going to persaude someone that you're way is the right was id telling them they're going to hades or insulting their beliefs. Of course these people may also just be emotionally constipated and get a kick out of being rude. Ya never know:P

If the non-fundie christians who emphasize love and compassion were to dominate, things would be better. Otherwise, when people see the hate and attack associated with stem cells, gay marriage, agendas to push a christian theocracy, and marginalization of science (evolution), then one can't help but be critical. Let's hope that people like the Episcopalans' Bishop-elect (who accepts evolution and doesn't believe Jesus is the only way to god) become more vocal and give a fresher face to Christianity, just as we hope that the more moderate elements in Islam speak up and present a positive alternative to Islamic fundamentalism.

• avarca

all of us get alongside. interior the way of ways the human race has constantly have been given alongside. We tolerate one yet another until eventually we can't to any extent further. Then we do a variety of issues to show our displeasure. history teaches us just to what quantity we've long previous to to maintain what we each and each think of is powerful. with a bit of luck we are able to avert maximum of those horrors and communicate greater with out the worst of what we are able to coming to fruition. there are a number of contentious human beings on Yahoo solutions that answer interior the destructive constantly. This has develop into so ingrained with some that it can't be accessible for them to alter their mindset interior the fast term and with some, time may lead them to worse. We could desire to all desire that no remember what divides us, communicate or chat, a minimum of on a cordial point can render our worst accessible nightmares of open conflict, to the nation-states of sleep purely.

• eggman

Some of my best friends are Christians, they aren't all going around hitting people over the head with the "Be Like Me" stick, but the ones who want to remove evolution from the classroom and replace it with Jesus Time really make me mad.