what is the best cuts of meat to use for a roast beef?

Favorite Answer

Rump roast - which is not as costly as some other roast cut

I have made this recipe often - and it turns out wonderful - I highly recommend it! Go to this link and you will get the recipe -

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000457roast_...

I assume you mean, the cuts that are ok for just a good seasoning and roasting in the oven. FIrst of course is the Filet. The most tender of the meats, however not big on flavor since it does not have much marbling. Fat = flavor unless you introduce it thru seasoning. Next we have the Rib of Beef, ie Prime rib, standing rib roast. Big on flavor but does have the eye of fat and some pretty heavy marbling. Then is the Sirloin of Beef, basical a whole NY StripLoin. Not seen too much in the meat cases unless precut into steaks. Used by lots of hotels for banquets.

Then move on to the top round of beef, Nice balance of marbling, it is what you usually see at the end of buffets. Priced right, slow roasted and thinly cut, makes for a fine meal. Remember the most important rule of roastinig, let your meat rest for 20 minutes before you carve into it. If you don't the juices will come gushing out of your slices and you will have well done meat before you can get it to the dinner table.

• Susan

When you are at the store, just look for the beef that has already been bound with butcher's twine. That is for roasting. What we normally do is give it a spice rub of pepper, salt and garlic and let it sit overnight before roasting. The salt pulls out some of the extra water which helps it cook faster. Then cook in a 300 degree oven unitil the center is about 145 for medium rare or 155 for medium. About 15 minutes per pound. I usually place the meat on four peeled onion halves to prevent the bottom from getting soggy and to add flavor to the pan drippings. It's important to let the meat rest for about ten minutes before cutting into it. If you cut it too soon, it will not be as moist. Cut the twine just before serving.

Nothing beats a Prime Rib Roast, but if you cannot afford it, go for a Sirloin Tip Roast....Spread Dijon Mustard all over it and season with steak spices . Add very little water to your pan and cook it covered. Don't forget to let it stand , out of the oven, covered with foil for 20 minutes before slicing it, to capture the juices. Trust me, there will be no taste of mustard whatsoever, It will be extremely tender and you'll get a gravy out-of-this-world ! Good luck !

Source(s): 30 years of experience in a steak house and a roast beef lover

You cannot beat a Prime Rib Roast, if you are in a real extravagent mood, a whole filet of Beef.

Top Sirloin or Sirloin Tip is quite good also, if you like it medium to medium rare, it tends to loose its flavour at anything above that.

Lots of good seasoning, coarse salt, pepper and a hint of garlic, when I was a chef, slow roasting is the best.

It depends on what you are using it for. Oven baked with vegetables and gravy when I could afford it a good standing prime rib or prime rib. If you want pot roast you can use a chuck or 7 bone roast. I use chuck roast for Swiss steak too.

I like the Tender Chuck Roast. I usually cook it in the crock pot with mushroom soup and veggies. It's great.

I would go for a whole or half rump depending how many people you are feeding. Most of all I like roast lamb leg.

This shows you all the cuts of beef and tells you how to cook them

http://www.beeftips.com/pdf/Beef_Cut_Chart.pdf#sea...

sirloin tip or eye of round