Questions about Superman Returns (spoiler)?

If this movie is supposed to follow the other Christopher Reeve movies (which I'm not sure if that's true)...

1. How long took place between Superman IV and when Superman left for Kryptonite?

2. When did Lois get pregnant?

3. Didn't he have to give up his powers to "get with" Lois in Superman II? So, how was he able to impregnate her?

4. Why did they change the color of his suit?

Okay, if it doesn't seem like it from the questions, I DID like the movie. I'm just wondering. I pretty much love anything Superman related. So, other Superman freaks, answer on...

Favorite Answer

I really liked the movie - there were some things that could have been polished better but overall it was pretty good.

To answer your questions the best I can:

1. According to the director in a interview given to Entertainment Monthly, they basically took everything from Superman I and II as their guide and built on it from there. There was no mention of using elements from the other movies.

I personally liked Superman III but IV was the worst of the series.

2. If you do the math, her little boy is about five years old and that is the same amount of time Superman was away... hmmm, just a coincidence?? Especially when he exhibits some "super" powers of his own?? *hee hee*

Personally, it's obvious what happened between Lois and Clark in the Fortress of Solitude in Superman II. I'm sure it was right around that time.

3. He didn't have to give up his powers but chose to do so. Since he was also able to get his powers back, I think his powers were just supressed for a while. More of the recent interpretations of Kal-El's powers deal with him accumilating power from the sun over a long period of time. I think it was always there and just got surpressed until he realized they would always be a part of him.

That makes a lot more sense than just losing them and getting them back right away. If your a fan of Spider-Man 2, the same type of thing happens... he never really "lost" his powers, he just needed the right mindset to use them. Who says something like that couldn't happen to Superman??

4. Per the same interview in Entertainment Monthly, they wanted to remix some aspects of Superman without going overboard and making him too different. His cape changed, too... it no longer has the "S" on it, but they added one on his belt. Kinda interesting. (Trust me - a girl notices these things *LOL*)

I'm guessing one of two scenarios happened. Either he wanted a new look and asked his mom to sew him something up or Lois had one heck of a costume/role-playing love session and it got so ripped to shreads that he needed a new one. *hee hee*

Source(s): Entertainment Monthy (Summer 2006) and countless episodes of Superman from the comics and TV series.

1) It took about a year to go to Krypton (not Kryptonite) and back.

2) Shortly before Superman left Earth. Kryptonians have a longer gestation period than humans, which threw Lois off track as to who was actually the father.

3) He gave up his powers, that's how. When he got them back, so did his little Kryptonian sperm.

4) They didn't change it much, just made it a bit darker which is common when comic books are put up on the big screen. The director & producer wanted to keep things pretty much intact as compared to Reeve's movies. Mostly it was a just change of material plus a bit of fleshing out of the insignia and belt.

My understanding is that this movie is supposed to be a sequel to superman 2 (the one where he and Lois "do it"), SM 3 and 4 for all intents and purposes didn't happen. Presumably he left earth right after that she she found out she was pregnant around the same time. As far as the new suit goes, maybe he found a Men's Warehouse on the way to find Krypton.

• crear

howdy howdy howdy - to all that mentioned something approximately no longer liking the action picture, you're no longer a genuine superman fan, btw i think of the only disappointing areas have been 2 - lois had a touch one, superman has consistently been the guy with great morals yet a new child out of wedlock became no longer good, and #2 being he has a touch one .

From what I have read, "Superman Returns" is meant to follow "Superman II." (You're meant to pretend III and IV never happened!) As to the finer points of Superman's garb and lady love, I defer to greater nerds.

Don't worry about this stuff...........just kick back and enjoy the movie.