Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

Was I wrong to restrict my girlfriend's tv programming?

The other day I was over at my girlfriend's apartment and I we were watching the tv. I had to get up and go to the bathroom and when I came back I saw her watching "desperate housewives". She tried to turn the channel really fast but it was too late, b/c I already caught her. I asked if that was desperate housewives and she got kind of silent but then said yes quietly. I told her to go to her room and that she knew better than to watch that trashy smut. While she was in her room I programmed the TV using the V Chip to block out basically everything but "G" rated type shows. I put a password on it to prevent her from being able to access these things. I told her a long time ago what shows she couldn't watch and that was one of them so she knew better. Well her friend came over the other day and was pissed off that she couldn't access a lot of shows on the tv and my girl told her the story. Her friend told my girlfriend that I was a jerk and to leave me. Am I wrong here?

Favorite Answer

Im calling DR PHIL on your ***! LOL you suck if this is true

Whoa! My man, you're such a control freak! Your girlfriend's friend is right. How would you feel if you're not allow to watch your favourite show or have your favourite food? What's wrong with "Desperate Housewife"? You can learn certain things about life from the show if you look at the show from the good aspects. What century you are living right now? If your girl break up with you, I have one thing to say to you "serve you right"! Better change your attitude before too late. Wake up "IDIOT"

You were wrong to treat ANYONE like that, especially someone you call your girlfriend. She is a person that can choose to watch whatever she wants. The part that effects you is that its you decision if you want to have a girlfriend that watches shows you don't like. If you don't like her watching it, it's better for you to deal with it than force her to do what you want.

Put the shoe on the other foot, what if you were doing something you enjoy and she got mad at you, made you quit, and made it so you could never do it again. Is that fair, heck no....

Wow You were way in the wrong! You are not above her in any way! You have no right to say what she can and cannnot watch! It is just a tv show! You are a jerk and I would advise anyone of my friends to leave their man if they did some kind of BS like that!

Yes you controlling sexist pyschopath. If you don't believe this man is what I deemed him look at his other questions such as:

"Am I out of line for having my girlfriend address me as "sir" or "master"? (nonsexual)?

Should I permit my girlfriend to go to the beach without me?

What should I do about my girlfriend's friend who is telling her to break it off with me b/c I am controlling?

Was I wrong for smacking my girlfriend's hand?

Should I let my girlfriend eat burgers and fries? (need objective advice)?

What is a good bedtime for a wife or girlfriend? I told mine 10 p.m. lights out and she thinks its not fair.?

Isn't the man supposed to be head of the household??

What are some logical punishments I can give my girlfriend when she does something wrong?

Does a wife ever have a right to not obey her husband?"

Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!! You are very, very wrong here!!!

You are a complete jerk for trying to control what your girlfriend watches on tv. It's a free god damned country and if the girl wants to watch desperate housewives or freakin sesame street, it's her god damn given right!

On top of that, WHO THE HELL are YOU to be putting parental controls on your GIRLFRIENDS TV in your GIRLFRIENDS APARTMENT?????

You are showing signs of some serious control freak issues. You need to see a therapist...and soon.

I hope she leaves you.

who r u 2 tell her what 2 watch would u let her tell u what 2 do over something as trivial as that get a life u sound 2 controlling AND its her place so she dont need 2 ask your permission 'GO 2 YOUR ROOM' r u 4 real what r u her father she does need to take her friends advice

is she your girlfriend or your daughter? why are you treating her like she doesnt have a mind? what difference does it make if she wants to watch shows that you dont want to watch?

who died and made you boss?

who are you to tell anybody what to watch in their own home? and do you pay the bills?

you are a jerk and i hope that she wises up soon because life with you would be like living in a concentration camp. and nobody makes love that well to put up with that crap

you sound like a very domineering and controlling type of male.

I hesitate to use the word "man" in your case. I have been with a male like you before, and now I resent and despise him greatly for his ways. I'll bet you tell her how to dress, how to wear her hair, and what friends of hers you deem "respectable" enough for her to associate with.

If you can not care for her for who she truly is, that tends to mean that

A- you are unhappy with yourself and force your unhappiness on others

B- you don't plan on having a long term relationship with this gal,

because at some point SHE WILL GET TIRED OF YOUR ****

• baus

ascertain television and VCR is on channel 3 or 4 once you've satellite tv for pc or cable. in case you dont ascertain television is on 3 or 4 and the vcr is determined on the channel youre attempting to record.

Is your girlfriend 12?? Why would your forbid any adult to do anything in their own home?? To me, that is a bit shallow. Not to mention abusive. You really don't have a right to tell someone what they can and cannot do. She isn't your child, she is your girlfriend. You will be lucky if she continues to be as such!