ANTI-CND asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

First day of school tomorrow! Im so stressed out and worried/nervous. Any advice?

Tomorrow I start my first day of high school. I don't know anyone at this school because im going from public to catholic system. Im really worried about meeting new people and making friends. The thing im most worried about is the rotation of classe's. I don't know how im going to make friends because there's no "home room" class in high school. Every one rotates to different classes in the course's they picked so I won't really be able to meet one particular person I like and be in the same class with them all day.

Since majority of the other kids are coming from the catholic elementry schools they all know each other and I doubt they will be bothered to make friends with "outsiders" from the public school or just new kids in general.

Im so nervous. I have a sick/weak and nervous feeling. I can't stop sweating either. I know it's silly but I just can't help it no matter how hard I try to think of other things.

How can I calm myself and stop being so worried?

I should also add that I’m not too good at making friends because I get really nervous around large groups of people, and this school I’m going to has almost 1300 kids in it. It’s going to be horrible, walking past hundreds of kids that I don’t even know. I’m also worried about the older kids in grades 11, 12 incase they try to beat me up because I’ll be a loner. I want tomorrow morning to never happen.

Favorite Answer

Go take a nice hot bath and read a book and take your mind off of your worries! You'll be fine..smile, be yourself..and remember -there are others who are feeling EXACTLY like you are!!

• Susan

Just dont worry about it, there is nothing you can do about people who wont accept "new kids". As for the homeroom thing, sometimes its better not having homeroom. You get a better variety of people to meet. Dont worry about friends, just be yourself and you will meet people. Most of the time some of the greatest friends are ones you met because you sat next to them in a class. To calm yourself down, what works for me is remember that I have no control really over the situation so I shouldnt be worrying and just breath deeply and relax. Your not going to make instant friends for life the first day, but you will meet people and become used to high school rather quickly, especially when you have a lot of work to destract you. Relax. This is coming from a high school sophmore, I know what your going through.

You are not going to be the only one!! Look around and if you see someone that appears as nervous as you, ask them if they are new to the school....bingo, another newbie and a new friend. As scary as this seems it is simply the fear of the unknown, realistically you know that school isn't something to fear. Change is good for you and it builds character. Be yourself and don't try too hard on the first day to make friends...just try to get orientated with your teachers and your new class schedule. As for the rotating classes...you will like it, it breaks up the day and makes thing more interesting. Try to just worry about adjusting to your new surroundings first then go for the new friends...good luck!

Hey Don't be nervous I made it though my first 2 weeks of junior high and I'm sure that jr.high isn't that different from high school!so just do your best and be nice to people you would be really surprized at how fast you will make friends If you sighn up for a sports team (maybe that will make up for not having homeroom all of my new friends are outside of hoomroom!)

Wow, you are really freaked out. I don't know what advise I could give you. Maby don't think about it. Its really hard because you are assuming really strong things about highschool that wouldn't apply to almost all highschools. Just don't be emo or goth or annoying and everything will be ok. You'll make friends and have fun. Don't worry about anything and everything will turn out. Like clases n stuff.

i started skool yesterday and was really worried and nervous but it turned out great i meet up with all my friends and the teachers were really nice on the first day dont worry it will be fine

only that many? thats not very many for a school.....but anyways. this should be exciting, its a new start!! just try your hardest, and if you have someone in a class that you like, just invite her over and try to get to know her/him more. ^^