Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

Are older men(over 45) afraid to get into a new relationship?

I am 49 and single. I divorced six years ago after an 18 yr marriage ended. I returned to college, aquired two advanced degrees and have a sucessful career. I'm not sure if I want to ever marry again, but I would like to have a male companion to enjoy activities together and to communicate hopes and dreams. It seems like most men are afraid that women are out to marry them and are reluctant to get involved. Then there are those men who are just want sex. I just want a relationship!! What do you think?

Favorite Answer

I feel most men do not like smart, independent women. I feel they are intimidated and cannot control an independent women. They like the needy ones so their masculine side will feel wanted. Most men close to their 40's and older are in debt with child support. It was hard for me to find a nice guy that didn' t have little kids and no child support. I love children I have 2 grand-kids, but I don't want to be a convenient babysitter every other weekend to a man's child while he goes out and golfs or fishes. So hang in there and he'll come along. Congratulations on all the accomplishments you have made with your life. That's more than most can say.....

I guess if the guy had a really bad experience with divorce and was taken to the cleaners that wasn't fair then yes he would be afraid. If the guy is getting into a relationship that has a lot of baggage from the person he is involved with then yes he would be afraid. If you and he are on the same page and want the same things then no and would get into a relationship. I don't think you can group like that. I would like to get into another relationship if the situation presents itself. I think allot has to do with each guys life experiences don't give up

So what is stopping you? You sound as if you really have it tightly together, and there are plenty of men who do the same, think the same, and want a relationship that doesn't involve marriage at a given time...that may change down the road, but .. no one of your age or older is out to get married....those people I would run from.

• DM

I run from people that want to get married too..

.

.

"I would like to have a male companion to enjoy activities together and to communicate hopes and dreams."

I would like a female companion that want this as well... so far, I've not seen one that i believe wants this...

maybe I'm just surrounded by fluff!

why don't you keep doing what interest you and what you enjoy. I believe that men are there doin that and someone will come along, and if they do not, well at least you're doing what you like....

Well, i attempt to follow my own advice...

so far... it is only a belief. without any presentable evidence that it works. I believe that it will, tho.

.

.

You can have my husband...he just turnd 50 last July and we just had our 12 year anniv...but we are separating today.

I know he is afraid to meet someone new...he is having a hard time letting me go.

No as long it is with a younger woman.

ya

you can be in a relationship

I think you sound pretty cool....