some predict that california will sink into the ocean.?

is this idea consistant with the theory of plate tonics? thanx

Favorite Answer

Many people hope that southern california will seperate from northern california. However, California most likely won't sink into the ocean from plate techtonics. Elevated sea levels from melting of ice caps could contribute to more of CA's land surface to be underwater. Moreover, it could be possible for severe earthquakes to cause the continental and oceanic plates to submerge parts of CA or breaking it off a bit and be covered more into the ocean.

Anyone predicting that California will sink into the ocean doesn't know anything about geology. The San Andreas fault is a strike-slip fault, not a dip-slip fault. A small portion of California west of the San Andreas is part of the Pacific Plate and is currently moving toward the northwest as the North American Plate is moving toward the southwest. In about 25 million years, Los Angeles will be a suburb of Juneau, Alaska.

• Susan

Don't confuse bad fantasy fiction with reality. There is no scientific possibility for California to sink into the ocean in the foreseeable future. Parts of it will, however, move a few feet to the North in our lifetime.

This cannot happen. The plates are sliding past each other, not one under the other. I live in California. Some relatives on the East Coast told me this nonsense about California sinking into the sea. I laugh at them.

1

Not at all, it's a myth perpetuated by a book written in the 60s by an author named Curt Gentry.

I believe it is a popular myth with people of Middle America like "ronb48146" who hate/resent/envy the greater openness of California's culture.

Source(s): I live in California and know more than average about seismology, and I read the book above.
  • California cannot sink into the sea. California is made of continental crust, which is thicker and less dense than oceanic crust; it is physically impossible for it to sink into the ocean.

Source(s): Long interest in geology.

I have heard that for 50 years,it diidn't happen yet. But with all the fruits and nuts there maybe it should

there are a few mountain ranges that would have to sink first..

• Umm..I doubt that's true...