how to use wire hangar to find underground water pipe?

Favorite Answer

This is my favorite topic. Take a steel coat hangar and cut the long side in the center. Make cuts on the other sides, the same length. Bend into L shapes. Stroke one side of both "L" s with a good magnet. Hold each "L" shape loosely in your hands as if you were holding 2 pop cans tilting slightly away from you. As you walk over the pipes or live electrical lines (be careful) the 2 upside down "L"s will point or align with each other. It is very accurate. This is also the way to find a water table, a spot to sink a well.

• heiman

Search For Underground Water

You cut it into then bend it into two L shapes. Where the L-shapes cross that is where the underground pipe is supposed to be. I've heard the same thing can be done with a peach tree limb. Cut a Y shaped peach tree limb and hold on to the two y arms and the end will bow down towards the ground over water. I know it sounds like fictitious nonsense, but I have seen it work.

• x

Thats just ficticious nonesense!

Get yourself a "signal generator" from an electrical supply store, and put it on your pipe coming from the wall, (attach it with a clamp if necesary so that you have a solid connection), then take the "wand" and go locate the pipe easily.

Or, if your water department has been modernized enough, they may have one.

You also may be able to rent one at a "General Rental Store" in your area. Call before you go first, with the price of gas being what it is now...just ask for Signal Generator, they will know what you want.

I wish you well..

Jesse

Other than straightening it out and probing with it, there is no real method of using a wire hanger.

• DanE