?
? asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Can indoor cats get seasonal affective disorder?

My cat seems to be depressed since it has been getting colder up here. Instead of sunshine and warm breezes blowing through her favorite window she stands watch by, it has now turned chilly and less sunny so I have had to keep the windows shut some of the time. My cat has taken up sleeping since it has gotten colder and now she doesn't want to get up and look out the window much anymore.

Mind you, she is still eating and she will play, but she just seems to be very sleepy lately. Can indoor cats get seasdnal affective disorder like people can?

• Lilah
    Favorite Answer

I think that instead of them being depressed it is just the natural order of things. Winter comes and they slow down a bit. Animals in nature do this too. My cats have been sleeping more, sitting at the window less even though it's still open, and they are eating much more than they were before too. So, I wouldn't worry too much. Just try to keep your kitty active and give her plenty of lovin'. She'll be great in the spring, rarin' to go.

Also, indoor cats are just fine....we took in an outdoor male can and now he doesn't want to go outside since he has it so good inside. It's not mean.....you are doing your kitty a favor.

Well.. I think I know cats and I would have to say that the cats do not get seasonal... why don't you let the cat look out the window even though it is shut.. Most cats(as mine) love to just watch out the window even during the night

Don't pay attention to that, it's not mean to keep your cat inside. Apparently, she thinks it would be nicer of you to let your cat freeze her *** off outside, as well as be exposed to diseases, parasites, and predators *rolling eyes*. Keeping a cat indoors is one of the best things you can do for it....which I'm sure you already know, and I applaude you for keeping your cat safe and healthy.

I noticed my male got a little slower this past winter, too. Do you keep your blinds open at all? Because even if they can tell it's not as nice out as they'd like, they usually still like looking outside.

Maybe she's depressed because you shut the window and she cant pretend you let her outside. You say she became dperessed because it's too cold to openthe window?

I think you're wrong Katrina... God meant for animals to go outdoors, imagine if you were imprisoned.

My friend who is an animal communicator feels that cats do respond to the changes in season. Although she has never said that they get "depressed".

i think they can get mood changes according to the weather...but wow an indoor cat...that's so mean.

Katrina...Animals are meant to roam outside as God intended. I assume you leave your house oft? do you have disease and parasites?

Fresh air, exersize, chasing the bees around the garden, playing out in the summer dusk, laying in a shady garden during summer, watching me hang out my laundry...my cat adores these things...of course she stays in when she's cold...i give my animals the choice.

There may be something of use here.

• Lydia

no - don't attribute our maladies to them!