promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

Can you Explain this?!?!?

How you can use the speedometer and a clock to tell how far you've traveled in a car if the car's odometer in not working.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you multiply your average speed in miles/hour by the number of hours you have travelled, the result will be the number of miles your have travelled.

For example, if you go 60 miles/hour for two hours, you have travelled 120 miles. Of course, to do this you need to be able to figure out your average speed. This works better on the highway than in local stop-and-go traffic.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It's not easy to do if the driving SPEED varies a lot. However, if the driving speed remains at or near a particular speed, you take that speed (let's say 50 mph), divide it by the time spent driving (for example....30 minutes...which is a half hour). Divide 50 by 2, and you get 25....you've driven 25 miles.

IMO, the only way to determine how far you've driven when you change speeds during the trip, is to MAP the course using "www.mapquest.com" for example. Put in both the starting and ending address, and it will tell you how many miles you will drive (if you follow that map).

• 1 decade ago

You multiply the miles per hour by the number of hours. If you go 20 miles per hour for 1 minute (1/60th of an hour) that's 20 X 1/60 = 1/3. You traveled 1/3 of a mile in a minute.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The distance traveled is speed multiplied by the time.

Example: you traveled at the speed 30 miles per hour for 30 minutes how far you have traveled.

Answer: 30 miles per hour is equal 0.5 mile per minute

multiply it by 30 minutes and u find that you traveled 15 miles.

Good luck

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Um, this is real basic. If you travel at a speed of 30 miles an hour and drive for an hour you have gone 30 miles.

Here's a better one: I you must travel a distance of 2 miles in two minutes and drive the first mile at 30 miles per hour, how fast must you travel for an average speed of 60 miles per hour?

Source(s): No animals or plants were harmed in the answering of this question. Any similarity with any person, living or dead, is purely coincidental and unintended. This answer contains a substance known by the state of California to cause excessive moronic stupidity. Use with adequate ventilation.
  • kksay
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Set the cruise control at 60 miles per hour and note the time on your clock. After one hour has passed, you have traveled 60 miles. That's what miles per hour means. The number of miles you have traveled in one hour. Cruise at 20 miles per hour? Traveled 20 miles in an hour. Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

The easiest way would be to travel at one speed say 80 kilometres per hour.Look at the clock when you've driven for half an our you've driven 40 kilometres, when you've been driving for an hour you've driven 80 kilometres.

I'm an Aussie, you'd probably do it in miles.

• mjdp
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

If you are travelling at 60 Km per hour then in one hour you have travelled 60 Km. or 30Km in half an hour etc

This assumes constant speed and not slowing down for traffic or speed limit zones

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When it says you go 30 miles per hour, you would go 30 miles in one hour if you went the same speed for an hour.

Sorry if that is a little confuessing to, sorry its sorta hard to explain.

• 4 years ago

All i want for Christmas is my 2 front tooth ( I had an twist of fate years in the past and the front have porcelin caps that would desire to get replaced in approximately 2 months whilst i might desire to have saved sufficient money to swap them!)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.