promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I would like to find out how to password protect certain folders on my computer...any ideas??

To prevent my kids from enabling my local area connection, how can I protect this folder with a password so that they cannot get on the internet when I am not around to supervise them??

Update:

My network connections folder is the one that they usually goto...I usually disable the local area connection so that they cannot get on the internet, but somehow they figured out how to enable it!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You actually can protect the computer itself with a password, that way you're sure they're not using the pc.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Well, using a firewall like everyone else so far has said, with a passwor, is by far the easiest way to go about it.

However, if you're kids are using a separate user name to log in on. AND, if you're running Windows XP PROFESSIONAL. What you could do, would be to add a Group Policy for a specific user.

You can Start > Run > and type gpedit.msc

Click on the User Configuration + sign on the right said, and go into the folder that says Administrative Templates. Now here you can go in, Disable the control panel for individual users (so they cant re-enable the network connection, you can also prohibit changing of TCP/IP network settings, the whole shebang. Easy to play around with, and setup on a per user basis. However, this is only handy if you're running Windows XP Professional.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Create a new User Account. To do this, look at Start>Help>Create An Account.

Make the Underage Children a part of the Users Account, or something, then make yourself a Power User and lock them all up with a Supervisor Password.

If you are worried about stuff on your PC being seen by others, and the machine is online, well you just lost that one. Any PC that is online is subject to attack and will, not IF or When or can be, WILL be accessed by a third party that is not at your residence. Its called the Internet, git it?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you are using Windows XP you can give them a seperate account with limited privelages. Once doing that you can then password protect your administrator account and then mark all of your folders private. You can also use Norton Internet Security to set a password and then disable internet traffic with the password being the only way to re-enable it. I hope those avenues helped you out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • baus
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

you need to acquire a application designed to attempt this, or: Compress the report right into a zipper, and then set a password via going into the folder, actual clicking on the window's historic past and identifying on upload a password. Then to get entry to the information in the zipped folder you want a password to open the folder and to open the information. desire that helps, Simon H

• 1 decade ago

To lock your computer with your password, press the Windows Key + L

Otherwise, to limit internet access, you can download the free version of Zone Alarm Firewall, add a password, and engage the Internet Lock. Google for it if you want.

• 1 decade ago

What kind of folders are you talking about exactly, each differs slightly.

• 1 decade ago

helo

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.