Was Teddy Ruxpin "accidentally" programed by a factory worker to cuss and use profanity?

A friend told me that the reason the toys no longer exist is because a worker programmed them to use profanity and suggest children to take off their clothes. I say he's full of crap, but he insists that it is I who is uninformed to this big joke that "everyone" knew about. Anyone?

Favorite Answer

Teddy Ruxpin never had a potty mouth. It was the red Teletubby Po who was programmed by a factory worker.

Teddy Ruxpin didn't talk without a tape inserted into him. He lost his popularity because he became boring to kids. Parents had to buy limited numbers of tapes.

But ........... he's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack (Teddy Ruxpin)

My kids had Teddy Ruxpin and they hated him. He scared them. When the batteries would start running low, his eyes would open or close. This happened one night when my daughter was about 4 years old. He was sitting on a shelf in her bedroom. She screamed bloody murder. I thought she was dreaming and then the lil' sucker did it to me. I got rid of him the next day.

This is totally off subject but.........

I was at Toys R Us one day getting my daughter a talking Barney. My hands were full and I needed to grab something off of a shelf. I put talking Barney between my knees and as soon as I did he said...."I like playing with you"

I put that one right back on the shelf and grabbed another one...kind of flipped me out. LOL

I think your friend is confussed. Teddy Ruxpin had tapes and books. He was not programmed to speak. However, there was a recall on Teletubbies. The purple one "Tinky-Winky" did have a defect that someone at the factory had programmed. It said something like "I am gay." My daughter had the red on, I think it was Poe and it sounded fine.

Also, a few years ago, someone in a factory that makes Barbie took a man's voice and put it in a Barbie. I can't remember what it said. Even though I have always loved Barbie, I couldn't help but laugh when I heard the voice. I saw a news article on TV about it!

Hope this helps!

I don't know. I never heard of that.

But my dad said that he found on the Internet how to hack one of those singing fishes and program it say bad words, so the same thing may have happened to Teddy.

I think Teddy isn't around anymore because he was a fad, like furbies.

• Carrie

I had one in the 80's and it never did anything like that. And besides, I think it only talked with the tape in the back of it. It sounds like your friend might be full of it.

• avarca

i wanted one so undesirable, and in no way pass one. i think of i grew to become into too youthful for them. while did they arrive out??? I additionally wanted that robotic which you place the tape into...My cousin have been given a sort of, and that i did not. :(

Try looking this up on "snoops.com" They can answer all those type of rumors and hoaxes. An interesting site.

No i am pretty sure it was done on purpose...........lol.

Truthfully i never heard this story!

Mine never did...