promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

Did anyone read Language in Thought and Action? Please Help!! The first helpful answer will get 100 points!?

What are your insights on Languade in Thought and Action by Hayakawa? Please give me at least one paragraph.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"S. I. Hayakawa's Language in Thought and Action has been one of the course's handbooks for a memorable number of years already, but the manner in which it has been used has changed somewhat over the years.

Although the basic concern of the book is with «informal» semantics (not the formal brand of semantics concerned with, e.g. the computation of truth-value), i.e. the «symbolic» way in which utterances are used to convey meaning, it also raises the more cognitive issue of how language affects human thought and conditions behaviour, and addresses the resulting «ethical» question of how language should be used to achieve cooperation and understanding rather than confrontation and conflict. These questions (though viewed in a somewhat «optimistic» perspective) give the book additional value as one of the pioneering works in «critical linguistics», a discipline which was to develop only much later.

Reading the book, students will progressively collect a «toolbox» of notions by means of which they will in due course be able to analyse texts at a level beyond the visible «surface» of expression, and thus be encouraged to approach texts «critically», and notably to recognise, assess and if necessary denounce linguistic manipulation -- whether by politicians, advertisers or teachers; and this mode of reading will contribute considerably to the global understanding of texts which is part and parcel of the «licence» pragmastylistics and critical discourse analysis courses.

Students are presumed to be thoroughly familiar with the contents and the vocabulary of the book. This is important, since without adequate knowledge of the contents of the various chapters, much personal reflection on the texts to be read during the exercise sessions and the licence years will become more difficult. So it might be a good idea to start reading immediately.

The book will introduce a number of concepts which you will increasingly grow aware of in your own «Niagara of words», i.e. your personal linguistic universe: books, papers, journals, libraries, films, songs, videos, cartoons, radio broadcasts, advertisements, etc. The point of the course is to encourage you to recognise the workings of language in your linguistic environment, not to just learn them as «subject matter."

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • tougas
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

To be truthful, in case you bypass on a crash nutrition regimen for 9 days in the previous the promenade, you're unlikely to have any potential on the special day. you would be torpid, vulnerable, hungry, exhausted, and don't have the potential to appreciate your self the form you may desire to. additionally, it fairly is totally probably which you will starve for some days and then binge in the direction of the top, leaving you bloated or maybe larger on promenade night. in case you nonetheless prefer to try this, then it fairly is ultimately as much as you. it fairly is genuinely not healthful, however the quickest way i understand to drop some weight is to do cardio exercising, drink a good number of water, and devour as low as possible. once you do devour, decrease your self to vegetables. devour issues like broccoli and spinach, not starches like potatoes. be careful which you don't get too vulnerable whilst exercising habitual; it fairly is as a rule approximately what you're ingesting (or not ingesting), besides. be certain to return to ingesting healthful once you end with promenade!

• 1 decade ago

100 points? tell me, how are you gonna pull that one off?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i'm sorry no

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.