Ah Ha
Ah Ha asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Which is more dangerous: The Y2K or global warming?

Favorite Answer

Y2K did more damage than "global warming" ever will.

• Schona

The problem was sidestepped before Y2K really happened. At this point, I have to side with global warming. You may say it's not happening but if it is and we ignore the problem, too bad for us. I don't want to find out when it's to late to try to do something about it. Maybe it is already too late to significantly change the outcome. However, I disagree that it is just us humans that are the cause of all of the damage. I believe a lot of the problem is natural, the Earth wobbles, and this is causing some of this damage itself. Example: As a spinning top slows, a wobble begins to occur. The Sun is so hot that as the Earth slows it is warming more quickly. Eventually, Earth will become uninhabitable. You think global warming is fiction. I suggest you go to Alaska to see the effects with your own eyes. Or travel to the Southern Hemisphere. I truly think this is why we are experiencing a higher frequency of violent storms, and flooding. The water is getting warmer, which causes more tropical disturbances. Something we cannot control.

Global warming wins by default, since Y2K ended 6 years ago.

Neither. Y2K never happened and global warming was created for political purposes.

I'm actually going to address this for the benefit of the people who are actually interested in learning something.

In the 20 years prior to Y2K, tens of millions of person-hours were spend updated programs and fixing code problems. I worked on several projects, involving millions of dollars in consulting fees (not to me, overall), to debug and remove Y2K bugs. Total, tens of billions of dollars were spent by companies to deal with the issue.

So, it was a bit of a problem, and very expensive, mainly because everyone waited until the last minute before addressing it. We can either learn from that lesson, or make the same mistakes again.

Y2K was never a real threat as global warming is, if we dont stop it we wont have a place to live for the next century.

global warming. the y2k is gone

Congress altered both the start & ending dates within the year 'daylight savings time', beginning 2007. Many devices not only have potential software problems, but hardware too. The real-time-clocks (RTC) within some designs (some I have myself designed) have the dates / rules fixed. Arbitrarily changing the rules, as congress does, will be a headache, at least.

Global warming...I think that's a bit out of scope for what man can really hope to impact. One belch from a large volcano dwarfs the dastardly deeds of us, so relax -- drive that Hummer if you have the $s to keep it filled up.

Y2K...Global warming is an agenda pusher. It's not a true agenda of itself. It's sole purpose is to get people conscerned, in which case they go along with things they usually wouldn't. Kind of like this war on terror.

Y2K really existed. Is this a trick question?