Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Should I tell my friends that I cut??

Should I tell my friends that I cut?? I think that they will only think its cuz im emo. . but i only dress like that. . .i dont do it cuz i'm emo. I dont know if I should tell,but I think one of my frineds might have seen my cuts. . .

Favorite Answer

My daughter did this for years and every now again even at the age of 18, she still does it. If you are doing this to yourself, you are in pain. You need to talk to someone. I don't think that necessarily means to your friends though. I am not quite sure that they would totally understand or be supportive. Sweetie, you need someone that can help you through whatever it is that is haunting you. Holding it in and harming yourself will never do you any good. I believe that you should talk to your parents about it and let them know that you are hurting inside. They can help you get help. I used to have horrible nightmares about my daughter. I would wake up in the morning scared to death to go into her room afraid that one day she might just take it too far by accident. Don't do this to yourself and get help. You deserve to be happy and healthy.

Good luck!

• Sarah

sometimes it's for the better sometimes its for the worst. Find someone you know will understand, Find someone you know won't judge you. I haven't told my friends because I know they'd tell an adult and I'd be put in some hospital or have to have therapy. But sometimes its good to have therapy, and sometimes people need to be put in hospitals. It's a big step to take. But don't put yourself in denial, if you need help and you know it, get help fast. I personally know that my friends would think of me different, and a few would no longer accept me if they knew. That's another big reason I haven't told them. But find someone to talk to. If your friend brings up what she saw, you could just tell herthe truth then, but it's your choice. I was lucky enough to find a penpal online who also cuts. We can relate to each other and we've saved eachother's life. Do what you think is best, don't be afraid to get help. Sometimes telling people makes it better because then they see how much they've hurt you. Maybe people will be more careful about what they do and say. Maybe things will get better. Its a big risk, but it can definitely be worth taking. Good luck! I hope you find someone who understands you and doesn't judge! and by the way, i'm glad you don't cut to pull off the emo look, I hate people like that!

I am appalled at some of the responses to this post. Insulting a person for externizing emotional pain is just plain cruel. First of all you need to figure out exactly why you cut. Talk to one of your friends. I wouldn't recommend prancing around proclaiming to the world that you cut yourself, but talk to someone. Although at times it may not seem like it, but the people in your life that care about will do anything to see that you're better.

Would U rather wait until they C the marks & ask?

Telling UR friends may relieve the pressure.

Seek some Counselling/ professional help when U know the time is right.

U never know having UR friends 4 support could help U as well.

im sorry im stupid, whats emo?

i used to cut, dont tell them

its your issues you'll deal with it in your own time, you can tell them when you get over it,

i got over it, and i am actually kind of proud of my scars,

(the scabs obviously heal, but the scars never go away)

they represent a time in my life when i was really screwed up,

and they remind me that i will always be that person, no matter how "well" i "do" in "life"

first of all... you are emotional.. you just don't realize it... you are probably depressed.. or even bored. Cutting is never acceptable and if you thought it was then you wouldn't try to hide it from your friends. You have a problem that can be fixed.. self-mutalation is not the answer. There is always a deep-seeded problem that causes people to destroy themselves either by cutting, or alcoholism, overeating, or drugs... there is always help and there is always hope

Yes, friends are people you can trust...and you should! My friend told me she cut, but she didn't think she was Emo, she had a hard time tellin me...but yeah..tell them!

yes, tell your friends. talk it out with anyone who will listen to you. you need support and help with your problem. go see a doctor about it. you are hurting inside and this needs to be discussed with a professional.

Yeah, but instead try making marks with red pen or holding ice it can help! Good luck and God bless you!

Sarah I see we have the same names!

why the hell do you cut?..Be proud that you're alive. Go see a professional. You're friends won't understand what's happening, but go ahead and tell them, they might help you through your situation.