Does anyone know anyone who works as a deaf interpreter for deaf children?

I am interested in this and wanted to know what they make and if it is a good job to have.

Favorite Answer

Ask at a school near you. They may also be employed by the County Office of Education in your county. The salary depends on your location, and experience in the field.

First of all, I think I know what you mean, but in order to be a deaf interpreter, you'd have to be deaf. They do exist for special reasons, which I could get into if you email me, but I am assuming you are hearing so...

Sign language/spoken language interpreters have to interpret BETWEEN deaf and hearing people, not for deaf people. Deaf people's ideas need to be expressed and understood by hearing people just as much as the other way around. If there are all deaf people in a room with one hearing person, I doubt you could say the interpreters was a deaf interpreter.

To answer what I think is your question, interpreters have salaries all over the place. It depends on location, skill, hours, etc....there isn't really a standard rate. That said, you need to become skilled in ASL (American Sign Language) or whatever the sign language of your area is, before you start interpreting. This takes many years.

If you are interested and have the passion, then go for it!

• avarca

i'm an interpreter in a school. As Lyris mentioned, an interpreter is obligated to not censor something mentioned or signed while examining. As interior the U. S. we've a sturdy code of ethics in Canada. while examining, the swear words do come off my palms or out of my mouth. If a instructor hears the interpreter asserting this then then they could desire to handle it with the Deaf student because it is what they signed. using fact the interpreter "I" did not swear, the student did. Likewise, if the Deaf student observed a swear coming off my palms, s/he might checklist to the instructor that the different student swore...s/he knows it grew to become into not the interpreter. the only time I checklist something to the critical is while as an interpreter I develop into conscious that a minor's well-being or welfare is in danger. it is amazingly oppressive to Deaf human beings, babies secure, to purely interpret the 'extreme high quality' issues. different than for being morally incorrect, It additionally prevents them from gaining wisdom of the thank you to regulate the real worldwide and cope with social interactions, even while uncomfortable. Interpreters are taught this early on. If somebody isn't gentle with those household projects, they could desire to evaluate a distinctive occupation.

I think you would get more responses if you had 'sign language' in your question as some people have keyword alerts. You can ask the question again with those words. I'm deaf but I would not know how good the pay is. I have heard that signing a lot can be an occupational hazard (carpal tunnel) if it is not your native language, but that would vary from person to person.

I do this job in Australia - I am a teacher of the deaf. I love it!

It is very tiring and taxing though - but the rewards are so great.

Goodluck

It all depends on where you live and if you get a degree. Talk to a counselor at you local institute of higher education. it is a noble field thou, good luck.