Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 1 decade ago

Should I stop Swim Team?!?!?!?

I have a history of Cronic Sinusites and ear problems. I've had four surgeries all before I turned seven, and all on my ears and sinuses. I've been swimming since I was two years old and I love the sport and exell. The problem is that I get swimmer's ear, ear infections and sinutites about every 2-3 weeks. I swim four night a week and I take all the precautions including using swim ear drying aid, nose spray everyday, and wearing a nose clip every time we do flipturns in practice. But I can't seem to shake my history. If this keeps up, I'll have to stop swimming. But I really don't want to do that!!!! Any tips? Should I stop swimming? HHEELLPP!!??!!??!!??

Favorite Answer

yes

Swimming is fun and all but it is not the only thing in your life. There will be other things just as important or moreso in your life after your swimming days are over... believe me. BUT what does it all matter if you don't have the health to enjoy what comes later? Speak with your physician and mention your concerns, please. Make an informed decision so that you don't regret something later.

Speak with a sport dietitian. You may running around with some vitamin deficiency or something. OR, you might need a special nose clip and/or special ear plugs; that's all. Don't lose hope yet. Speak with the coach and ask for help in finding better nose clips and better ear plugs. Listen, just as you're coming out of your flip turn, blow some air out of your nose if the clip falls out. You ARE supposed to breathe OUT through your nose anyway... RIGHT????

i think that you've tried soo many ways to prevent something happening again . i think that's great. first before you decide to stop swimming. think. it's your passion. you love it. now think. ear infections. sinutites . consult a doctor and if you had. which you probably have. just think. you do so much for this sport so you can still do it.. do you think you just want to give that all up? i mean. it is a risk .. but think..(again) if you really love this sport you would risk something.. not your life.. because if you try to prevent this than that means you love it you want to do it.. you won't get very much worse... or.. you could say that you love this sport. it will always be in your heart but you should give something else a chance.. but still always loving the great sport swimming. TRY EVERYTHING>.. i know you'll pick the right choice.

Source(s): :)

Put yourself first in this situation. It seems as if you love swimming, but if I were you I would (unfortunately) quit. If you don't want to quit, keep swimming. But remember all of the health issues you'll have to deal with. Ask yourself if you're willing to make that sacrifice and put yourself throught that much pain just to swim. I am on my school's varsity swim team so I understand where you're coming from when you say you love swimming. And I know how you feel when you get ear infections. They hurt like (excuse my language) Hell. If it were me, I wouldn't put myself through that. Hope I could help :)

• wear ear plugs. if those dont work then i wouldnt STOP swimming completely but i would prolly quit the team and go back in a year or so. swim at least twice a week if u quit and make sure u try the ear plugs a couple times b4 u quit.

Unfortunately, and for the safety of your health, it is probably better to quit swimming. I'm sorry for saying that, but it isn't the end of the world! There are PLENTY of other great sports out there, and if you are as good as you say, you probably have lots of strength. Try new things to see what you like--you never know, you might excel at something totally new! Hope this helps :)

Get a cap and ear plugs. Nose plugs work well. Try swimming with a snorkel, ittl prevent any air movement through ur nose. Just get the competitive snorkels not the conventional didving ones

Ask your physician first. Then you might want to call up a major swim club or university to see what they do. You may have to give it up though.

ya stop for a couple seasons a couple is better then a life time!

im guessing that you shouldn't. even if it's really good for the health, you should stop if you have those problems. ask your doctor, and when he/she cures it... have fun again!