what is the tall large leaf plant that has yellow leaves on top that grows in KY?

Its a crop of some kind but not sure what. I was on a trip driving through KY and Tennessee and seen it on the farms. From a distance I thought it was sunflowers but it wasn't.

Favorite Answer

Dang I am from Kentucky and having trouble with this one!!!!!! Was it tobacco????????

You are looking at "burley tobacco". Only North Carolina grows more tobacco than Kentucky. As the plants reach maturity, the leaves turn yellow and are ready to harvest. Much of the

money generated by the big tobacco settlements several years ago is being used to buy out the allotments of tobacco that farmers are allowed to grow each year. As this happens, less and less acerage is being planted in tobacco every year in Kentucky. Many former tobacco farmers are investing in other cash crops such as truck (vegetable) farming and exotics like fresh water shrimp and catfish. Again, tobacco settlement money is being used to fund these ventures.

Good luck with your travels through the bluegrass state.

Those are tobacco plants. The harvest should just be starting.