Pepper's Mommy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Constipation problem with my dog.?

Does anyone have a home remedy for a constipated dog? Something that you have tried and it works?

Favorite Answer

have you got any codliver oil?? you could get a cheap bottle of codliver oil capsules from the chemist in the morning

Not really. First you need to know why the dog is constipated. Constipation is a symptom of a deeper problem. Poor diet? Ate something that is causing a blockage? Has a tumor that is blocking things up? Not enough exercise? The dog needs to be seen by a vet to determine the problem then treat it.

Canned pumpkin - a few tablespoons for a big dog - NOT the whole can. My vet uses this as a 'tasty' way for the dog to incorporate fiber into the dogs diet.

My Greyhound had numerous stomach issues.

if your dog is constipated you need to take it to the vet! Dogs have and do die from blockages everyday! Blockages are very common and can come from anything they ate: food, treats, underwear, tennisballs, greenies, toys, string. Pretty much anything! Take your dog to the vet!

Try adding a little vegetable oil or olive oil to his food. Also try plain pumpkin (no spices).A little cottage cheese or yogurt will often help too. Don't use any human medicines without checking with your vet first.

Source(s): vet tech 33 years, dog trainer 34 years

I give my dogs a little prune juice mixed in their water bowl.

you can make him go outside and make the dog eat grass. thats what i do. it works everytime. usually by 5-10 mins. he'll start pooping.

GOOD LUCK,

Sara