I need a defination of Authorty!?

I need a example and a defination!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Here are some of uses, actually most of them:

noun: official permission or approval (Example: "Authority for the program was renewed several times")

noun: the power or right to give orders or make decisions (Example: "He has the authority to issue warrants")

noun: an authoritative written work (Example: "This book is the final authority on the life of Milton")

noun: an expert whose views are taken as definitive (Example: "He is an authority on corporate law")

noun: (usually plural) persons who exercise (administrative) control over others

noun: freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities (Example: "She spoke with authority")

noun: an administrative unit of government (Example: "Tennessee Valley Authority")

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

authority

One entry found for authority.

Main Entry: au·thor·i·ty

Pronunciation: &-'thär-&-tE, o-, -'thor-

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -ties

Etymology: Middle English auctorite, from Anglo-French auctorité, from Latin auctoritat-, auctoritas opinion, decision, power, from auctor

1 a (1) : a citation (as from a book or file) used in defense or support (2) : the source from which the citation is drawn b (1) : a conclusive statement or set of statements (as an official decision of a court) (2) : a decision taken as a precedent (3) : TESTIMONY c : an individual cited or appealed to as an expert

2 a : power to influence or command thought, opinion, or behavior b : freedom granted by one in authority : RIGHT

3 a : persons in command; specifically : GOVERNMENT b : a governmental agency or corporation to administer a revenue-producing public enterprise <the transit authority>

4 a : GROUNDS, WARRANT <had excellent authority for believing the claim> b : convincing force <lent authority to the performance>

synonym see INFLUENCE, POWER

• puma
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Look in the dictionary!! Do your own work!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.