Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What is the greatest mystery?....EXISTENCE?

It is totally impossible for any of us or thing to exist.....but we do. Regardless of what you believe as to the origins of existence, whether is be from the natural order or one of a higher power, God it is still impossible for anything to exist . Logic tells me that all things must have an origin. There has to be something in the very beginning to evolve from and God had to have come from somewhere also. Seems at one time there had to be NOTHING. A completere non-existence of anything. How do you get something from nothing? It is impossible for us to exist....but we do......amazing

Favorite Answer

Existance may be infinite. In any case, it matters not where we came from but rather where we are going.

• AiW

Matter and/or energy had to always have existed. There could have been no time when there was nothing. Nothing means No-Thing. From nothing comes nothing. Ergo it is impossible for any theory to account for a state of nothingness.

What the theist does to this problem of infinite regression is to simply add a mystery on top of it to attempt to simplify it, but in actuality it makes the problem more complex and it has no explanatory power whatsoever. Like you said. God (assuming one existed) would also require an explanation. Is there an infinite amount of gods? I think not. We have no evidence for even one god..or anything that is independent of nature at all.

My explanation is simple. Matter and/or energy has always existed and things change over time.

• Jim L

Right. The biggest mystery is "Why is there something, rather than nothing?" Answering that God created the universe does nothing to answer this mystery. We know the universe exists, but we don't know that God exists. Postulating the existence of a God to explain the existence of the universe just substitutes an even bigger mystery for the first mystery: How did God come to exist?

We want to believe that the universe was willfully created by something vastly more intelligent than us. Yet our only experience with intelligence is that intelligence is gradually acquired over time. If God exists, how did he/she/it acquire its intelligence? I find it easier to believe that spacetime has always existed, without any kind of innate intelligence, than it is to believe that an vastly intelligent God has always existed.

But either way, it is an incredible mystery, one that might never be answered. If it is answered, I bet it will be science that answers it, and not religion.

The question is more appropriate when it is: How do you become nothing from something? First and originally you were existence until you become non-existence.

Just like a magician who conjure up the rabbit in the hat. The rabbit is a non-existence, which to the audience, exists in form. But the originator of that rabbit is really the magician's skills.

So, there was originally something, but the deluded mind got attached to the existence of forms which is nothing. This existence of forms in turn caused another form to exist, and the cycle goes on and on until the original was totally left behind and forgotten.

Once, we wake up, we will know the existence of the original "SOMETHING."

I like Mirages' answer, but I have to say that the answer is actually out there, still:

Telescopes from NASA can see so far back, that they can see back in time, and some of the remnants of the big bang. Now, maybe they're not telling us this, but can't they then see what caused the big bang?

I personally believe that there is an ultimate creator, and we're just one of the sub-created existences, to test out what exists the best, like a test.

• ?

dreaming_aga,I saw something a few days ago,scientist have found at absolute vacuum,material forms from nothing,sorry I can't tell you more.I have experienced unconditional Love in my heart and I can tell you with certainty that God has to be experienced with the heart for the mind can never comprehend the allness of GOD.I've heard it said that God is even beyond NOTHING. besides there is something "THERE" GOD, all things arise from "IT" and will merge back into "IT"

Source(s): experience

The greatest mystery most definately is Existance and it will be the greatest mystery as long as this world exists!!

no, i think the greatest mystery is where did God come from.

it is a great mystery, you're right. but there are also other 'great' mysteries. hey, have you read sophie's world? it's a great book that might suit your questions. the author is jostein gaarder.

no.

no.

""It is totally impossible for any of us or thing to exist.....but we do.""

I hope you make it in your new career as an Existentialist!