promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

What was your local (neighborhood) 5&10 cent store when you were growing up?

I remember Woolworth's and G.C. Murphy's. In addition to good products at decent prices, they had a soda fountain where you could get a hot dog and a cherry coke for very little money.

Update:

For Iona B: Murphy's was similar to Woolworth's, and started out in McKeesport and Pittsburgh, Pa. They were all over the east coast at one time and farther west.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Pic N Save on Roscoe in the San Fernando Valley. And Thrifty uptown on Sherman Way where they had a soda fountain and mini jukebox at each booth you could play 2 songs for a quarter. Today in my old neighborhood everyone has built fences even in the front yards. And I think those stores are gone. I remember when the flagship store of Woolworth closed in Manhattan but never visited Murphys where was that?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

don't understand approximately you, yet lower back then I in lots of cases stared on the radio whilst "The Shadow" or some thing else grew to become into on. And Woolworth's, Kresses, yeah infant! an prolonged time in the past. video clips fee us .25 cents to get in. omit the 5 and 10 cent shops and their low-priced perfumes "Blue Waltz" And "night in Paris" . Dusty little glass partitions separated the object. interior the basement you ought to purchase oilcloth for table coverings. I enjoyed a lime Ricky and a tuna sandwich or BLT with fries. as long as you have been a infant and not interior the conflict, those have been the days.

• 1 decade ago

Ben Franklin's and Woolworth Co.

• 1 decade ago

Woolworth's and Ames

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Sprouse Ritz

• 1 decade ago

oooh, Woolworth's had some great Chocolate Sodas!! but their pet department always stunk and had a dead something or other back there.

• 1 decade ago

Grant's General Store..... They had EVERYTHING!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.