Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

What was your local (neighborhood) 5&10 cent store when you were growing up?

I remember Woolworth's and G.C. Murphy's. In addition to good products at decent prices, they had a soda fountain where you could get a hot dog and a cherry coke for very little money.

For Iona B: Murphy's was similar to Woolworth's, and started out in McKeesport and Pittsburgh, Pa. They were all over the east coast at one time and farther west.

Favorite Answer

Pic N Save on Roscoe in the San Fernando Valley. And Thrifty uptown on Sherman Way where they had a soda fountain and mini jukebox at each booth you could play 2 songs for a quarter. Today in my old neighborhood everyone has built fences even in the front yards. And I think those stores are gone. I remember when the flagship store of Woolworth closed in Manhattan but never visited Murphys where was that?

don't understand approximately you, yet lower back then I in lots of cases stared on the radio whilst "The Shadow" or some thing else grew to become into on. And Woolworth's, Kresses, yeah infant! an prolonged time in the past. video clips fee us .25 cents to get in. omit the 5 and 10 cent shops and their low-priced perfumes "Blue Waltz" And "night in Paris" . Dusty little glass partitions separated the object. interior the basement you ought to purchase oilcloth for table coverings. I enjoyed a lime Ricky and a tuna sandwich or BLT with fries. as long as you have been a infant and not interior the conflict, those have been the days.

Ben Franklin's and Woolworth Co.

Woolworth's and Ames

Sprouse Ritz

oooh, Woolworth's had some great Chocolate Sodas!! but their pet department always stunk and had a dead something or other back there.

Grant's General Store..... They had EVERYTHING!