Why do we Americans hate the metric system, while not understand our current system?

How many acres are in a square mile? How many feet are in an acre? How many fluid ounces are in a quart? How many fluid ounces are in a pint? Why in God’s name do we still use this stupid system?

Favorite Answer

You guys are going to have to learn real soon anyway, because the rest of the WORLD is on the other one.

Because we grow up with it. Strange as it seems, some of us are endeared to inches and feet, and pounds. We don't want to switch over kilometers, kilograms, meters or centimeters. Obviously I'm part of a minority there, but there's enough people it seems to drag on the process of switching across decades. If you go out to Arizona, there is at least one highway that's exists and road markers are in Kilometers from one of the first attempts to switch to the metric I believe. The United States has tried a couple times, but its keeps getting put on hold.

i hate the standard system because when i talk to people from other countries, i have problems rationalizing the amount they tell me of whatever it is. i really wish i had been taught the metric system. i hope we convert america over to the metric system in the next generation or so...i plan to learn it and at least teach my children metric. i totally understand where you are coming from. blessed be.

Because its America. America likes to stand apart regardless of the stupidity