Why is the majority of people in the military from poor family's?

of course its real leather. i would be beaten for wearing a pleather jacket

Favorite Answer

Look who the recruiting ads are aimed at. Rich don't serve in wars, they profit in wars.

Did you mean to say " Why are the majority of people in the military from poor families?" I would be more inclined to answer an igorant question like yours if you actually used spell check and had some basic grammar skills. Your question is a vast generalization and perpetuates the stereotype of the military. I was in the Air Force and the Army, and part of what I loved about both was the diversity. There are people from all walks of life and socioeconomic levels.

I did a little research, and found one article which did a study of from 1995 to 2000. It said that most soldiers come from the working middle class, so average working joes. Not rich and not at the poverty level. I do think after the events of Sept. 11 that more upper class college educated people have joined the service. Although, I think the recruiting efforts are usually directed at working class areas. I would like to see a study on that, I'm sure it's out there some where.

But, from what I know about the Vietnam war, most of the soldiers did come from lower income families. I think that was because of the draft and college deferments. There were children from elite families, who did serve, but for the most part they were not in combat. The guys in the crap hole battles were from working class families.

A couple of my buddies, who were drafted into Vietnam said they wished they had rich dads, to get them out of going, lol... They went and did the job that was asked of them and luckily they both came home without physical injuries.

sanrun

It never seizes to amazing me how truly ignorant some people are. Wow!!! Instead of insulting the military, why don't you give them a pat on the back and thank one or two of them

My husband is in the military and he came from a middle classed family. The military can be a good life. My husband make a nice living for his family and I children don't want for anything.

You really should do your research and you'll find that military families come from all walks of life. Many military members have their college degree and will retire far before you can even dream of retiring. Heck they will retire twice before you retire once. Who will be the poor one then

Those individuals you refer to as poor. If you are not a Servicemen or continue to refuse to serve your country, you would come to realize that honor and self sacrifice is better than being behind bars or having a gangster lifestyle.

I suppose your money can get you into a eight year college or a ventor gig in the center of the mall, yet in the US Military you quickly learn what America means to alot of people. And once you step on foreign soil, friend or foe, the first desire is to get back home.

People Out Of Resolve (POOR)

Source(s): United States Naval Fleet Reverses.

I didnt come from a poor background by any means. I was in the Marine Corps for 4 yr and now in the Coast Guard for the last 7. I wouldnt trade it for anything. So saying the majority of ppl in the military isnt so. I have been in all kinds of units and only a handful came from "poor" backgrounds but most are from middle income to rich families.

It is the basic willingness to good for folks who dont want to serve and to protect your rights. it all boils down to that. Plus the Travel is awesome.

Source(s): Military member

The military pulls in alot of people from poorer areas. Why would kids graduating from highschool where SAT scores are high, and have the means to attend college join the military. We are a military family from a wealthy area, but it is not the norm.

• B V

I think you got some pretty forward answers here, but I would like to add,, your not alone in assuming that fact..

Alot of people I know just assume that like in the past the military especially army is a last chance,, " go to jail or to the army" or if you can't get into college with your brains go to the military they will take anyone. It's just another typical american stereo type.

Like alot of other people have already said,, there are people from all walks of life in the military, rich, poor,, pretty ,, male , female,, ugly,, smart,, dumb,, all races, religions. Kinda like america it takes all kinds to make us what we are!!!!!

Source(s): Navy wife 2 yrs Army wife 6 yrs

On what do you base your question? Who says the majority of military personnel are from poor families? I wasn't --- my mother was a school teacher, my dad was a factory maintenance worker. Real middle class blue collar people.

Read the answers from Sgt B, Jim and Rock and Roll5.

Source(s): Been there done that.
  • JB

That isnt true....

People in the military come from all walks of life. Myself I joined after growing up a military brat and wouldnt say we were ever poor. Look at the people that go to college first and then come into the military. For the most part joining the military has nothing to do with your financal background. Its more about just wanting to serve your country and get into a better job once your enlistment is over.

Because the rich have sent any decent paying jobs off shore, so as it has been throughout history, they will have enough serfs to go and conquer a few countries with oil to make the bas*ards even richer.