promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why in North Carolina do you have to wait a year before you can get divorced?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Because divorce in this country has gotten so relaxed that people don't think it through before they do it. Instead of going to a trusted member or elder of the community, or a family friend, or a member of the clergy (who are often trained and experienced in counseling these kinds of things), people flock to the judicial system. The courts are not really equipped or designed to produce a "great" outcome in these types of contests. The court system is impersonal. And courts and lawyers are EXPENSIVE!

Presumably, this reduces the number of divorces as people decide to stop and act more rational and think things through, which reduces caseload in the court system.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Did not know that, but I wish that was the law in my state. My wife and I divorced and in less than a year we were back together again living in the same house. All we did was waste money getting a divorce.

• 1 decade ago

Most states have this period to try and get people to recocile. CA it is six months. Its like the cooling off period to buy a firarm....

• 1 decade ago

its called a cool off period to make sure its what you both want. keeps you from coming back and getting remarried, you know, wasting the courts time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You have to wait one year if there are no "circimstances". If you can prove adultry or abuse, you can do it in three months.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

to give you time to cool off and make sure that is exactly what you want. i will not be moving there anytime soon

• 1 decade ago

In case you change your mind.

• 1 decade ago

because they want to make sure thats what u want to do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.