can i claim a disable person on my taxes even though they get aid for their child?

Favorite Answer

You provide little information for a complete answer.

Understand that if you choose to claim the disabled person because you provide >51% of their support, then they may lose the aid they get for their child. Also, the aid they get for their child is part of the calculation on whether you provide >51% of their support.

The disabled person needs to be a relative to make the claim stick, the IRS doubts that people are so charitable as to start supporting strangers.

Just letting them live in your house may not be sufficient. If they are foster children, then that is a different category, but I don't know if foster children are allowed to keep their own children while they're in foster care.

Contact the IRS for information. You could get into serious trouble if you claim someone you shouldn't.

As an attorney or call the IRS, I beleive if you support them 51% you can claim them.

You can only claim dependents. Is that person your legal dependent and can you prove that to the IRS?

I think they are both right . If I remember, inside the instructions for form 1040, that question is addressed.