promotion image of download ymail app
vigen t asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 decade ago

Can you treat retroperitoneal fibrosis?

My husband was diagnosed with this disease and I don't know what to do. No doctor has delt with this before. Anybody know anything about retroperitoneal fibrosis?

1 Answer

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer


    Surgery to remove the mass and free the ureters may be required. In some cases, the ureters will be moved to a different position in the body or wrapped in fat tissue harvested from other areas to prevent recurrence of the fibrosis.

    Stents (drainage tubes) placed in the ureter or in the renal pelvis may provide short-term relief of the symptoms until the mass can be removed.

    Corticosteroid therapy may help if surgery can't be done due to other medical conditions.

    Some doctors use the drug tamoxifen to treat this condition.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.