ms.takes asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How do I break my basset hound from snacking in the litter box?

The minute I turn my back, she's in the other room chomping on some "treats". Not only is this gross, but I'm sure it can't be good for her.

Favorite Answer

get a covered litter box and move it out of the dog's reach. the cat should be able to jump up to wherever you put it.

Here is another way to hide your litter box from your dog.

Steps

Obtain a large (30-50gal) plastic tub. Make sure your litter box will fit on the bottom.

Measure the widest part of your cat and cut a hole in the lid of your plastic tub large enough for your cat to get in through.

Place the litter box in the tub, place the lid back on the tub, and show the new place to your cat.

Tips

If your cat is too elderly or overweight to use this method, you can do a similar thing by flipping the tub over and cutting a hole in the side of the tub. This allows for side entry rather than top entry.

I put the litter box up high enough that the dogs can't get to it. Made my life easier and I stopped gagging when the dogs wanted to lick me.

I Know! My sicko dog does that too. One thing I do is give her a good squirt with the spray bottle when I catch her, she doesn't really dig that much, of course she still does it. Nothing more foul than your dog walking around with litter stuck to her lips!

mmmm...kitty cookies...dogs love 'em...if only they made dog food that flavor...

on a positive note, it saves time cleaning out the litter box...

about all you can do is get a covered litter box and try to barricade the opening so that the dog can't get to it...

if there is any thing he doesnt like that muchput it by the litter box so then he wont eat out of it.or nov it to a place that your cat can only get it

Source(s): my own problems

Your have to be persistent just keeping yelling at her and telling her no and give her an alternative treat. But some dogs never get over it.

well put the cat box in a room the dog absoluty hates and keep it in that room and if that doesnt work e-mail me for more info!

Teach the kitty to **** in the bathtub. That way Fido doesn't get any nasty litter in his teeth.

Source(s): The Book of Jack.

Eat them before the dog gets them.........