promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

i have a 03 jaguar s type. it makes a loud humming sound sometimes when i turn the wheel?

its not the power stearing fluid. i checked it. its a loud humming/ rubbing sound. but it only happens when i go above 40 mph. and only happens when i turn the steering wheel left.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Could be the power steering, check the rack, or it could be your brakes, if you don't replace the pads, soon it'll be grinding wheneva u stop. Could also be that something, like a small rock, has got stuck in there somewhere, has anyone done any work on your car recently? I once had a screw in there that my useless ex left behind {of course he knows what he's doing!!! lol}.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Could be air in the hydraulic system. Try this: with the engine running and transmission in park, turn the steering wheel all the way right then all the way left 2 or 3 times. That has worked for me in the past.

• 4 years ago

ok. a dash greater specificity is named for. Is it an exact whine or a loud squeal? you're announcing it happens the two upon acceleration or perhaps as turning. This leads me to have self theory this could be a squeal. this might nicely be the belt. If it grew to alter into some ingredient to do with the particularly pump, it may be greater of a growling variety sound. To do learn that, pull the disguise off the reservoir and at as at present as turn the educational wheel from area to area with the engine working. See what happens on the reservoir. it particularly is fairly a 2 individual operation. One should be turning it lock to lock area to area on a similar time via fact the various looks. Is it bubbling or foaming? Or does the return seem air loose? Is there any noise as quickly as you have the engine idling and you in simple terms turn the wheel slowly, or in user-friendly terms start to instruct it? I save coming lower back to the "advance up" factor of your description. It actually looks like a belt undertaking. learn it. See in spite of if that's badly cracked or looks awesome. If the two, replace it. additionally, learn the tensioner. in spite of if that's an adjustable one, tighten it some.

• 1 decade ago

check your power steering. If that is not it go to a autozone or something similar and some will do a free diagnostics test.

ps. my husband says to check the steering alignment

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

power steering belt. or the wheel or suspension is contacting something

• 1 decade ago

sounds like the left front tire is rubbing on the frame..look for scuff marks on the tire or on the frame

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.