promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

why is there a fasci (in the form a a torch) on the United States dime, and the seal of the US Senate?

the fasci is a bundle of sticks or rods that are bound together (this is the symbol used by fascist governments like that of mussolini and it symbolizes centralization of power)

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thum... (there are two of them forming a crossing pattern at the bottom center)

i would post a link to a picture of the back of a dime, but that would be pretty gratuitous.

I AM NOT NECESSARILY IMPLYING THAT THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT IS FASCIST- however, this is quite alarming to me- if you have a reasonable explanation for the use of this symbol, please share it with me.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Fasci was the symbol of the Roman Senate long long before the USA or the Fascist goverments used it. The USA used the symbol since the 1780s since the Roman Republic was seen as the precursor to our own government. This was 150 years before the Fascists got their hands on the symbol.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

the mercury dime had the axe fasci. not a symbol of light but a symbol of groups united by power and violent authority.

• 1 decade ago

The torch is a symbol of the light of freedom. Like the lady in the harbor.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.