Do I need an Ethernet card to run wireless?

I have been trying to hook up a router on Earthlink DSL. For the wireless computer, do I need a Network Interface Card to set it up. I have the adapter added to the wireless computer. As a side note Earthlink has not been helpful at all. They want to sell their service at $8 per month.

Thank you very much for your help.

Favorite Answer

hook the wireless router to the DSL modem. I hope the computer has a wireless card either add on or internal. If that is all in place everything should work out.

• Matt

You only need an ethernet card if the computer your wanting needs to have one in order to hook up the router. The other computer if it's a desktop will need a wireless adapter (receiver) that can be attached to a USB plug or one that can be installed inside the computer. If it's a laptop and it doesn't have an internal wireless receiver or the Intel Centrino, a USB plug will still work but if you don't have an extra USB plug you can use a PC Card (aka Cardbus, PCMCIA).

If none of this stuff still doesn't make sense place a call to whomever makes the router you bought. They will be more than happy to help you out.

Source(s): Go to this site to learn more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_LAN

What you need is a Wireless network adapter card. It is different than Ethernet. A regular old network adapter card with an RJ-45 port on the back will not send or recieve a wireless signal! Buy one that says XP compatible on it, or whichever operating system you have, and install it following the directions. You can even get ones that plug into a USB port so you never have to open the case - good if it's a name brand pc with a little case and no room inside! If you use a USB version be sure to read the instructions before turning your computer on...

Have fun and be your own mechanic - it's not too hard.

In order to set up the router initially you should use a wired nic and ethernet as you can not accidently lock yourself out of the router while configuring. If all you have is the wireless adapter all is not lost, you can do it with the wireless adapter. If you do manage to lock yourself out of the router, you can always reset the router to factory defaults (most just hold down the reset button for 30 seconds or so) and start all over again.

I had a desktop unit that i used to set up my network inhouse. Then my wireless laptop found the WAN. An ethernet card would be nice for setting up network, If your laptop has ethernet then hook direct to router/set up then go wireless.

No. You need a wireless card. Having an ethernet card is good if you want to troubleshoot but other than that it is not necessary.